all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't kill a process within shell-mode (mac osx 10.3 Panther)
@ 2003-12-16 22:39 Ray Hixson
From: Ray Hixson @ 2003-12-16 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.0.0) of
2003-10-25 on darkstar.local.
I use shell-mode constantly within emacs for example to tail log
files. The problem I'm having with this release is that Control-C
Control-C does not kill the tail.
And any other running process from that shell cannot be killed as
well.

any tips?

thanks
Ray

* Re: Can't kill a process within shell-mode (mac osx 10.3 Panther)
@ 2003-12-16 23:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-16 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ray Hixson wrote:

> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.0.0) of
> 2003-10-25 on darkstar.local.
> I use shell-mode constantly within emacs for example to tail log
> files. The problem I'm having with this release is that Control-C
> Control-C does not kill the tail.
> And any other running process from that shell cannot be killed as
> well.

If your platform has the pkill command, you could work around the problem

with something like:

M-! pkill -x tail

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Can't kill a process within shell-mode (mac osx 10.3 Panther)
@ 2003-12-17  0:00 ` Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2003-12-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ray@zenfoo.com (Ray Hixson) writes:

> Hi,
> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.0.0) of
> 2003-10-25 on darkstar.local.
> I use shell-mode constantly within emacs for example to tail log
> files. The problem I'm having with this release is that Control-C
> Control-C does not kill the tail.

What does the C-c C-c do in the shell buffer?

Try C-q C-c RET

-kin

@ 2003-12-17  6:41   ` Ray Hixson
From: Ray Hixson @ 2003-12-17  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kin Cho <ignore-this-prefixkin@techie.com> wrote in message news:<7ibrq8gvpb.fsf@neoscale.com>...

> What does the C-c C-c do in the shell buffer?
>
> Try C-q C-c RET
>
> -kin

C-c C-c is echoed back and it has absolutely no effect.
I tried C-q C-c and it's the same - it echoes 'C-c' in the buffer and
does nothing to the tail

I can look up the tail pid and kill it (in another shell) and that
works, bringing my shell back to the prompt.

Ray