all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LaTeX on Emacs
@ 2007-09-07 19:45 trajan
From: trajan @ 2007-09-07 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

    Wanted to post a LaTeX-related question.  Is LaTex part
of the Emacs application or package?

If not, can it be after installing and configuring?  I'm running
Emacs v.21 on a Mac OS Terminal window.  Any information is
appreciated.  Thanks.

fjm

* Re: LaTeX on Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.470.1189194315.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-07 20:01 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-09-07 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

trajan <trajan3@mac.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
>    Wanted to post a LaTeX-related question.  Is LaTex part
> of the Emacs application or package?

LaTeX is its own piece of software; it's actually part of a much
larger TeX system if it's on your machine.  Most Linux distributions
include a TeX system and install it along with the OS because it's a
pretty huge piece of software.  There is a free TeX system for Mac
called MacTeX.

> If not, can it be after installing and configuring?  I'm running
>Emacs v.21 on a Mac OS Terminal window.  Any information is
>appreciated.  Thanks.

It sounds like what you want is a mode specialized for editing LaTeX;
that's called AUCTeX, which also supports many other TeX programs
(e.g., BibTeX).

Look up any of the above camelCased words on Wikipedia for some
excellent explanations and history.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

@ 2007-09-07 20:13 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-09-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-09-07, trajan <trajan3@mac.com> wrote:
>     Wanted to post a LaTeX-related question.  Is LaTex part
> of the Emacs application or package?

No.

> If not, can it be after installing and configuring?  I'm running
> Emacs v.21 on a Mac OS Terminal window.  Any information is
> appreciated.  Thanks.

No, latex will be an external application, that can be called from
emacs. Also you can edit LaTeX files.Both can be done conveniently
using Auctex, see

http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/

See also about what Tex and Latex are:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: LaTeX on Emacs
@ 2007-09-07 20:36 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-09-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

Your question is not completely clear to me. I take it that you have
just recently heard of LaTeX and you don't know exactly what it is.

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 03:45:05PM -0400, trajan wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    Wanted to post a LaTeX-related question.  Is LaTex part
> of the Emacs application or package?

No they are separate. LaTeX is a program, or better a complex set of
programs, completely running in a terminal. What it does, is compiling
a specially prepared clear-text source file what produces a nicely
typeset and printable output file (e.g. a pdf file). The source file
is written in a special markup language looking somewhat similar to
html.

Here Emacs comes into play. In fact, it doesn't matter which editor is
used to write the input file. You can even write it in MS-Word if you
are a masochist and as long as you save the file in clear text. But
it's better to use an editor which offers special functions for LaTeX.
The editor also should have a proper syntax highlighting in order to
distinguish between actual text (i.e. what you want to say) and LaTeX
code (i.e. what you want it to look like) in your source file more
easily. Emacs is, to my knowledge, the most powerful tool to do that.

> If not, can it be after installing and configuring?  I'm running
> Emacs v.21 on a Mac OS Terminal window.  Any information is
> appreciated.  Thanks.

What you have to do, is downloading a TeX distribution for Mac from a
CTAN repository near your place. Just google for "texlive mac
download". TeXLive is the distribution mostly used today (I
think). TeTeX is another distribution that is still widely in use (but
will be outdated in the near future). Both are available for Mac.

As far as I know, there is nothing special to be configured, if you
install (La)TeX on a system that has Emacs already installed. Emacs
reads the necessary information from the shell variables and finds the
binaries accordingly (I may be wrong with this explanation, anyway).

Emacs switches to the LaTeX mode as soon as you open a file
ending in .tex. To find out what is the best way to use Emacs for
LaTeX files, please refer to
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AUCTeX.

You still have to learn what a LaTeX source file has to look
like. There are many tutorials for beginners on the web. Best way
might be to start with Wikipedia.

I hope that I didn't misunderstand you and that this was helpful.

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: LaTeX on Emacs
@ 2007-09-07 20:37 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trajan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.09.2007 um 21:45 schrieb trajan:

>    Wanted to post a LaTeX-related question.  Is LaTex part
> of the Emacs application or package?

No. It has modes (Elisp packages) to support work with LaTeX.

> If not, can it be after installing and configuring?  I'm running
> Emacs v.21 on a Mac OS Terminal window.  Any information is
> appreciated.  Thanks.

I don't understand your question. Do you want to know how to install
TeX on Mac OS X? If so: http://tug.org/texlive/ or http://www.tug.org/
mactex/. Information only: http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater/mac-tex/
mac-tex-intro/mactexintro.html

For a mailing list on TeX on Mac OS X:

Greetings

   Pete

"A mathematician is a machine that turns coffee into theorems."