all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?
@ 2003-06-03 17:14 David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-06-03 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last week I upgraded our installation of Emacs from 20.7 to 21.3.  I'm
now hearing from some of my users that the code they used to display
Chinese text in 20.7 no longer works.  When they run this bit of code
(typically out of .emacs) they now get an error.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 769 bytes --]

The error is:

error: "There's no room for a new private charset unicode-b"

Before I go about either rolling back our installation or (more
likely) providing this particular group their own installation of 20.7
I'm hoping someone can tell us how to correctly view Chinese text
under Emacs 21.3.

Dave Goldberg
Associate Department Head, G06A: Advanced Technical Computing Center
The Mitre Corporation \ MS K331 \ 202 Burlington Rd. \ Bedford, MA 01730
dsg@mitre.org \ 781-271-3887

* Re: Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?
@ 2003-06-03 18:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.7219.1054664430.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-06-03 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: David S Goldberg <dsg@mitre.org>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:14:38 -0400
>
> The error is:
>
> error: "There's no room for a new private charset unicode-b"

Search the etc/PROBLEMS file for an entry named "The `oc-unicode'
package doesn't work with Emacs 21."

> I'm hoping someone can tell us how to correctly view Chinese text
> under Emacs 21.3.

How is the file with Chinese text encoded?

* Re: Displaying Chinese text in 20.7 vs 21.3?
@ 2003-06-04  8:16 ` Robin Hu
       [not found] ` <mailman.7219.1054664430.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robin Hu @ 2003-06-04  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> Last week I upgraded our installation of Emacs from 20.7 to
    David> 21.3.  I'm now hearing from some of my users that the code
    David> they used to display Chinese text in 20.7 no longer works.
    David> When they run this bit of code (typically out of .emacs) they
    David> now get an error.

    Are you using mule-ucs package? You may need a patch for Emacs
    21.3. Mule-ucs is needed to viewing chinese text, only if your
    chinese text is encoded in utf-8 or utf-16. And for this instance, I
    recommend you to grab the latest emacs from cvs intead.

--
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.

@ 2003-06-04 13:01   ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-06-04 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> From: David S Goldberg <dsg@mitre.org>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:14:38 -0400
>>
>> The error is:
>>
>> error: "There's no room for a new private charset unicode-b"

> Search the etc/PROBLEMS file for an entry named "The `oc-unicode'
> package doesn't work with Emacs 21."

Well that clears that up :-)

>> I'm hoping someone can tell us how to correctly view Chinese text
>> under Emacs 21.3.

> How is the file with Chinese text encoded?

No idea.  I've forwarded these two messages to the users.  I'm hoping
one of them will jump in since I'm not enjoying the middle man role.

David> Last week I upgraded our installation of Emacs from 20.7 to
David> 21.3.  I'm now hearing from some of my users that the code
David> they used to display Chinese text in 20.7 no longer works.
David> When they run this bit of code (typically out of .emacs) they
David> now get an error.

>     Are you using mule-ucs package? You may need a patch for Emacs
>     21.3. Mule-ucs is needed to viewing chinese text, only if your
>     chinese text is encoded in utf-8 or utf-16. And for this instance, I
>     recommend you to grab the latest emacs from cvs intead.

If this is so then I'll still have build this group a separate
installation.  Offering up a CVS snapshot to my entire user community
is bad mojo.

--

@ 2003-06-04 14:24     ` Robin Hu
From: Robin Hu @ 2003-06-04 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> If this is so then I'll still have build this group a
    David> separate installation.  Offering up a CVS snapshot to my
    David> entire user community is bad mojo.

    I once found a patch for mule-ucs with emacs 21.3 in debian's
    website. You may want to give it a try.

    The snapshot of FSF Emacs is quite stable for me.