all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* automatically re-read from disk the current buffer
@ 2004-04-05 13:36 Thomas Lavergne
From: Thomas Lavergne @ 2004-04-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone and sorry if this is in the FAQ : I did not find it.
I am using Emacs as my editor for coding. My programs often write data
to files for helping me during the debuging step: the content of these
files changes at each execution. I would like to save the "OpenFile
'foo.txt' + re-read from disk (yes)" actions. Isn't there a way to ask
directly for re-reading from disk the current buffer?
Do I have to create a special shortcut somewhere?
Thanks in adavance.
Thomas

PS: I am using Emacs 21.2.1

* Re: automatically re-read from disk the current buffer
@ 2004-04-05 15:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-04-05 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:36:34 +0200
> From: Thomas Lavergne <thomas.lavergne@jrc.it>
>
> Hi everyone and sorry if this is in the FAQ : I did not find it.

Did you try in the manual?  In Emacs, most of the questions are
answered in the manual, not in the FAQ.

> I am using Emacs as my editor for coding. My programs often write data
> to files for helping me during the debuging step: the content of these
> files changes at each execution. I would like to save the "OpenFile
> 'foo.txt' + re-read from disk (yes)" actions. Isn't there a way to ask
> directly for re-reading from disk the current buffer?

I think you want the command "M-x revert-buffer RET" and the
Auto-Revert mode.  You can find their description in the manual.