all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* table
@ 2008-03-18 22:01 harven
From: harven @ 2008-03-18 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 I am trying to build a text-based table under emacs 22.1 stable. I
want to change the characters used to draw the borders of the table.

From the emacs manual, I have to set a few
variables:
(setq table-cell-intersection-char ?\u2504B)
(table-cell-vertical-char ?\u2503)
(setq table-cell-horizontal-chars ?\u2501)

Everything is fine for the two first variables, but
it doesn' t work for the last.
I had a look at the table.el file. There is only
one place where table-cell-horizontal-char
is mentioned, at the very beginning. The variable
used thereafter is table-cell-intersection-chars
and contains a string instead of a character.

(setq table-cell-horizontal-chars "\u2501")
finally worked for me but I am still wondering
what's going on there. Any hint ?

By the way, the table-capture command
uses a weird way of handling defaults
settings:

Column delimiter regexp : default-value

The default value is entered at the prompt.
This makes pretty difficult to put table-capture
in a macro. Each time the macro is executed,
the default-value is added again:

Column delimiter regexp : default-value default-value default-
value ...

IMHO it would have been better if the defaults
have been implemented using syntax like
Column-delimiter-regexp (default : default-value) :

* Re: table
@ 2008-03-19 17:33 ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found] ` <mailman.9205.1205948019.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-19 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harven; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

harven <harven@free.fr> writes:

>  I am trying to build a text-based table under emacs 22.1 stable. I
> want to change the characters used to draw the borders of the table.

You may want to check out org-mode, included with Emacs.

(info "(org) Tables")

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: table
       [not found] ` <mailman.9205.1205948019.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-20 23:24   ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2008-03-20 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On márc. 19, 18:33, jadam...@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:
> harven <har...@free.fr> writes:
> >  I am trying to build a text-based table under emacs 22.1 stable. I
> > want to change the characters used to draw the borders of the table.
>
> You may want to check out org-mode, included with Emacs.
>
> (info "(org) Tables")
>
> Joel

This neither helps with tables; but: have you tried SES (Emacs
Spreadsheet)?
(info "(ses)Top")

* Re: table
       [not found] ` <mailman.9205.1205948019.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-21  2:35 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.9286.1206066949.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-03-21  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

harven wrote:
>  I am trying to build a text-based table under emacs 22.1 stable. I
> want to change the characters used to draw the borders of the table.
>
> From the emacs manual, I have to set a few
> variables:
> (setq table-cell-intersection-char ?\u2504B)
> (table-cell-vertical-char ?\u2503)
> (setq table-cell-horizontal-chars ?\u2501)
>
> Everything is fine for the two first variables, but
> it doesn' t work for the last.
> I had a look at the table.el file. There is only
> one place where table-cell-horizontal-char
> is mentioned, at the very beginning. The variable
> used thereafter is table-cell-intersection-chars
> and contains a string instead of a character.

You meant table-cell-horizontal-chars, right?

> (setq table-cell-horizontal-chars "\u2501")
> finally worked for me but I am still wondering
> what's going on there. Any hint ?

The mention of singular -char in the Commentary of table.el and in the
Emacs manual are documentation bugs: there is no such variable.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: table
       [not found] ` <mailman.9286.1206066949.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-21 10:18   ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-03-21 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The mention of singular -char in the Commentary of table.el and in the
> Emacs manual are documentation bugs: there is no such variable.

Thanks for your answers.
 I will have a look to the emacs
spreadsheet.

* Re: table
@ 2008-03-21 13:40     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

>> You may want to check out org-mode, included with Emacs.
>>
>> (info "(org) Tables")
>
> This neither helps with tables; but: have you tried SES (Emacs
> Spreadsheet)?

What do you mean by "This neither helps with tables"?
Org tables can surely help creating tables.

As for spreadsheet facilities, check

  (info "(org)The Spreadsheet")

and the tutorial for it:

  http://www.legito.net/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.php