all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-12  1:52 Gavin White
From: Gavin White @ 2002-11-12  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated Jaguar to 10.2.2 today, and now Emacs won't load.  I last
made emacs (bootstrap, with carbon, without X) on September 9.  I am
remaking emacs (bootstrap, configured without carbon and with X), but
this is time-consuming.

The error I get is as follows:
Fatal error (10).Bus error

Both my makes are from CVS sources.  The version I'm make-ing right
now is from an update with -D "2001-11-01", as suggested by
http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/

I'm sure there will be other folks with the same problem.  Is there a
quicker fix?  Is this an Apple issue?

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-12  2:22 ` Hugo Wolf
From: Hugo Wolf @ 2002-11-12  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <f67cd586.0211111752.1040b258@posting.google.com>, Gavin
White wrote:
> I updated Jaguar to 10.2.2 today, and now Emacs won't load.

Yep, looks like you'll have to rebuild.  I just went through that -
see posts on comp.sys.mac.system.  I wasn't expecting this in a minor
os upgrade (10.2.1->10.2.2).  Works fine after rebuilding though.

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-12 21:47   ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2002-11-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugo Wolf <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.net> wrote in message news:<IBZz9.1671$ME6.596@rwcrnsc53>...

> Yep, looks like you'll have to rebuild.  I just went through that -
> see posts on comp.sys.mac.system.  I wasn't expecting this in a minor
> os upgrade (10.2.1->10.2.2).  Works fine after rebuilding though.

I haven't even been able to rebuild.  I've tried checking out various
versions from CVS based on date (from the current back to 2002-09-20
sampling about every 10 days) and so far all of them have failed
'./configure --without-x && make bootstrap' with the following error:

----
for file in $wins; do \
   /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
done;
wd=/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp; subdirs=`find $wd -type d -print`; for
file in $subdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* |
*/=* ) ;; *) wins="$wins $file" ;; esac; done; \
echo Directories: $wins; \
../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload
--eval '(setq generated-autoload-file
"/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads
$wins
Directories: /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/calc /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/calendar
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/emulation
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/eshell /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/gnus
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/international
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/language /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/mail
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/net /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/obsolete
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/play /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/progmodes
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/term /Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/textmodes
/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/toolbar
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 139
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
----

Does this make sense to anyone?  Does anyone have a date for a CVS
revision that can definitely be built under 10.2.2?

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-12 23:09     ` Schone Mullerin
From: Schone Mullerin @ 2002-11-12 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <c048f319.0211121347.43db4f4e@posting.google.com>, Chris
Brierley wrote:
> I haven't even been able to rebuild.  I've tried checking out various
> versions from CVS based on date (from the current back to 2002-09-20
> sampling about every 10 days) and so far all of them have failed
> './configure --without-x && make bootstrap' with the following error:

If you want an Aqua emacs, the configure step would be

  ./configure --with-carbon --without-x

If you don't want an Aqua emacs, you might as well use Apple's build,
or fink's if you want 21.2.  Both work fine in a Terminal.

> Does anyone have a date for a CVS
> revision that can definitely be built under 10.2.2?

The sources you get with cvs date spec '-D "2002-11-01"' can
definitely be built in 10.2.2.  I did it this morning.

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13  2:45   ` Chris Waterson
From: Chris Waterson @ 2002-11-13  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugo Wolf wrote:

> In article , Gavin
> White wrote:
>
> >I updated Jaguar to 10.2.2 today, and now Emacs won't load.
>

> Yep, looks like you'll have to rebuild.  I just went through that -
> see posts on comp.sys.mac.system.  I wasn't expecting this in a minor
> os upgrade (10.2.1->10.2.2).  Works fine after rebuilding though.

Hmm.  I'm not able to rebuild, either.  The build "bootstrap-emacs" that
I have segfaults, so I can't compile any of the elisp files.
Unfortunately, the crash is somewhere in dyld:

/usr/local/src/emacs/2002-11-01/emacs$ gdb src/bootstrap-emacs

[...]
(gdb) run

[...]

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.

0x8fe0d53c in __dyld_lookup_symbol ()

(gdb) bt

#0  0x8fe0d53c in __dyld_lookup_symbol ()

#1  0x8fe0baac in __dyld_resolve_undefineds ()

#2  0x8fe10614 in __dyld_link_in_need_modules ()

#3  0x8fe014e4 in __dyld__dyld_init ()

(gdb)

This is making me believe that "dump-emacs" in loadup.el is just
generating a garbage binary.

I'm getting some duplicate symbol errors when linking temacs (which will
itself run fine):

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _PC

terminfo.o definition of _PC in section (__DATA,__common)

/usr/lib/libncurses.dylib(lib_tputs.o) definition of _PC

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _BC

terminfo.o definition of _BC in section (__DATA,__common)

/usr/lib/libncurses.dylib(lib_termcap.o) definition of _BC

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _UP

terminfo.o definition of _UP in section (__DATA,__common)

/usr/lib/libncurses.dylib(lib_termcap.o) definition of _UP

#ifdef'ing these MAC_OSX in terminfo.c has no effect, sadly.

The emacs-os/x FAQ mentions bad ju-ju related to fink, so I guess my
next trick will be uninstalling that... :-(

Help!

thanks,
chris

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13  6:51       ` Amos
From: Amos @ 2002-11-13  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Schone Mullerin <smullerin@deutsches.lieder.net> wrote in message news:<slrnat32go.1o5.smullerin@esb.local>...
> If you don't want an Aqua emacs, you might as well use Apple's build,
> or fink's if you want 21.2.  Both work fine in a Terminal.
>
> > Does anyone have a date for a CVS
> > revision that can definitely be built under 10.2.2?
>
> The sources you get with cvs date spec '-D "2002-11-01"' can
> definitely be built in 10.2.2.  I did it this morning.

Not for me.  What do you have installed via fink.  Currently I'm
not using fink at all.  I wonder if that might somehow be the
difference....

Man, never realized just how dependent I was to emacs until
today.  :-(  Nothing seems the same without it.  Pretty sad.

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 11:08         ` Hugo Wolf
From: Hugo Wolf @ 2002-11-13 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <33a4f8d2.0211122251.1c92698@posting.google.com>, Amos wrote:
>> The sources you get with cvs date spec '-D "2002-11-01"' can
>> definitely be built in 10.2.2.  I did it this morning.
>
> Not for me.  What do you have installed via fink.  Currently I'm
> not using fink at all.  I wonder if that might somehow be the
> difference....

Could be.  My texinfo installation was made with fink.  I have lots of
other fink packages installed as well (~ 100 of them), but the emacs
build process should never see any of it.  I can post a complete list
f you think it would help you debug this problem.

> Man, never realized just how dependent I was to emacs until
> today.  :-(  Nothing seems the same without it.  Pretty sad.

If you run XDarwin, the X11 emacs and xemacs clients are quite nice.
But you may need fink to build them ....

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 11:22     ` Hugo Wolf
From: Hugo Wolf @ 2002-11-13 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <aqsekd$8i0$1@pixie.nscp.aoltw.net>, Chris Waterson wrote:
> The emacs-os/x FAQ mentions bad ju-ju related to fink, so I guess my
> next trick will be uninstalling that... :-(

I have lots of fink packages installed, including texinfo.  Maybe you
need more fink rather than less...

But I doubt seriously the build of emacs sees any of part of fink
other than the texinfo executables.  Certainly it can't possibly see
fink libs or include files and it's unlikely to use fink executables
during the build process (other than the texinfo tools).

I'm happy to post my 10.2.2 Emacs buld somewhere as a .dmg if anyone
has a server I can upload to.  The disk image file is ~ 33MB.  This
build is completely encapsulated as a .app package -- nothing goes in
/usr/local, so no need for an installer.

Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe this is relevant to the build
problems some of you are seeing.  Did you try removing all traces of
the 10.2.1 emacs build from /usr/local?  I don't keep any emacs
components there once the .app is constructed -- that might explain
why I had no problems building.

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 12:24         ` Joseph Kiniry
From: Joseph Kiniry @ 2002-11-13 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

goo0h@yahoo.com (Amos) writes:

> Schone Mullerin <smullerin@deutsches.lieder.net> wrote:
>> If you don't want an Aqua emacs, you might as well use Apple's build,
>> or fink's if you want 21.2.  Both work fine in a Terminal.
>>
>> > Does anyone have a date for a CVS
>> > revision that can definitely be built under 10.2.2?
>>
>> The sources you get with cvs date spec '-D "2002-11-01"' can
>> definitely be built in 10.2.2.  I did it this morning.
>
> Not for me.  What do you have installed via fink.  Currently I'm
> not using fink at all.  I wonder if that might somehow be the
> difference....
>
> Man, never realized just how dependent I was to emacs until
> today.  :-(  Nothing seems the same without it.  Pretty sad.

I did a full update last night and rebuilt for 10.2.2 without an
issue as well.  Perhaps a full removal of your sandbox and checking
out the repository again will help?

I have an X11 build of Emacs installed via Fink as well, BTW.  My
two fink targets that drive my entire fink install are emacs (to get
emacs, all dependent libs, and X11) and sawfish (to get the Gnome
transitive closure).

Joe Kiniry

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 12:58           ` Hugo Wolf
From: Hugo Wolf @ 2002-11-13 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ww7znsdfyjd.fsf@catwoman.cs.kun.nl>, Joseph Kiniry wrote:
> I did a full update last night and rebuilt for 10.2.2 without an
> issue as well.  Perhaps a full removal of your sandbox and checking
> out the repository again will help?

That's a good point; I should have mentioned this. In my successful
build I did a complete new checkout from scratch of the 11-01 sources,
rather than trying to reuse my earlier checkout (from late October).

> I have an X11 build of Emacs installed via Fink as well, BTW.  My
> two fink targets that drive my entire fink install are emacs (to get
> emacs, all dependent libs, and X11) and sawfish (to get the Gnome
> transitive closure).

Software package management systems like fink are just Good Things in
general - no other motivation needed imo.  All sorts of useful tools
are easily installed this way: anacron, blackbox, cdrtools, dlcompat,
ghostscript, gnome, gtk+, kde, lame, ncftp, rxvt, slang/slrn, stunnel,
tcltk, w3m, xemacs, etc etc plus the libs and headers they depend on.
Some of these require osx-specific patches, which fink provides (no
sense in reinventing those wheels).  Some don't, but it still seems
silly to me to build and install them in an ad hoc manual way when a
nice version-tracking and dependency-management system is available.
Not using fink in osx isn't quite as odd as not using rpm in RedHat,
but it's close...

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 13:17         ` Henrik Holm
From: Henrik Holm @ 2002-11-13 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amos <goo0h@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Man, never realized just how dependent I was to emacs until
> today.  :-(  Nothing seems the same without it.  Pretty sad.

Until I rebuilt my /usr/local/bin/emacs, the /usr/bin/emacs (that comes
with OS X) worked nicely -- except for some missing .el's in the
site-lisp catalogs.  Only in -nw mode, though.

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 19:36       ` Chris Waterson
From: Chris Waterson @ 2002-11-13 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugo Wolf wrote:

> In article , Chris Waterson wrote:
>
> >The emacs-os/x FAQ mentions bad ju-ju related to fink, so I guess my
> >next trick will be uninstalling that... :-(
>

> I have lots of fink packages installed, including texinfo.  Maybe you
> need more fink rather than less...

Heh.

> I'm happy to post my 10.2.2 Emacs buld somewhere as a .dmg if anyone
> has a server I can upload to.  The disk image file is ~ 33MB.  This
> build is completely encapsulated as a .app package -- nothing goes in
> /usr/local, so no need for an installer.

Thanks for offering.  I did find a binary package here:

<http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/emacs.html>

So I'm at least off the floor.

> Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe this is relevant to the build
> problems some of you are seeing.  Did you try removing all traces of
> the 10.2.1 emacs build from /usr/local?  I don't keep any emacs
> components there once the .app is constructed -- that might explain
> why I had no problems building.

Worth a try...if I have any luck, I'll post back.

Thanks for the help!

chris

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-13 21:01     ` Heiko Hellweg
From: Heiko Hellweg @ 2002-11-13 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

brierley@pobox.com (Chris Brierley) writes:

> I haven't even been able to rebuild.  I've tried checking out various
> versions from CVS based on date (from the current back to 2002-09-20
> sampling about every 10 days) and so far all of them have failed
> './configure --without-x && make bootstrap' with the following error:
>
> ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload
> --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file
> "/Users/brier/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloads
> $wins
> make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 139
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

The 10.2.2 update messed up lots file permissions for me.

Try running 'fix permisions' from Apples 'Disk Utility' and rebooting.
I could recompile emacs after that.

hope that helps - Heiko

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-14  6:24       ` Amos
From: Amos @ 2002-11-14  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heiko Hellweg <nospam@snark.de> wrote in message news:<m2lm3x2nhk.fsf@ifruit.bonn.iz-soz.de>...
> The 10.2.2 update messed up lots file permissions for me.
>
> Try running 'fix permisions' from Apples 'Disk Utility' and rebooting.
> I could recompile emacs after that.

You're not joking.  It was interesting to see how many perms
were screwed up.  Sadly, that did not seem to resolve my
problem.

What compiler are you using?  I'm using the July Dev tools with
the Aug and Oct updates applied.

* Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on OS X 10.2.2
@ 2002-11-14  8:03         ` Heiko Hellweg
From: Heiko Hellweg @ 2002-11-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

goo0h@yahoo.com (Amos) writes:

> What compiler are you using?  I'm using the July Dev tools with
> the Aug and Oct updates applied.

I use the Dev Tools that came with 10.2 and only applied the
october update - shold result in the same setup ...

Maybe it's sun flares, phases of the moon, ...

Sorry that didn't solve it for you - Heiko