all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What are you doing ?
       [not found] <337333362.245666.1488449019768.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-03-02 10:03 ` chaouche yacine
From: chaouche yacine @ 2017-03-02 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Sorry if that sounds like clickbait, coming up with good e-mail subjects can be time consuming sometimes.I sometimes wish I would have written what I have done during the day, to keep track of my activity.
I have recently adopted a workflow where I would open a new YYYYMMDD.log file on a daily basis and write try to keep a log of my daily activities.I then switched to howm, but that's just a detail which helps me browse files more conveniently.
After approx 15 days of using this method, I find that at some days I forgot to write a lot of what I got done, or timewasters that kept me busy instead of doing actual work.
I was thinking about setting some sort of reminder that would ask me, every hour (or half an hour) what I was doing ? so that I would be reminded of writing something in the activity log file.

What do you guys think ? is emacs the good place to set such a reminder (I often use the browser so I might skip some notifications it they would only show in the emacs window, I guess... but then I don't think I'd spend a whole hour without looking at the emacs window at least once so this shouldn't be a problem I guess, I don't know... what do you think ?)
-- Yassine.

* Re: What are you doing ?
@ 2017-03-02 10:11   ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2017-03-02 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

Not really an answer, but you could use zenity or notify-send (at least
on Linux, don't know about other platforms) to get desktop notifications
from within Emacs.

Cheers,

Dan

chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche@yahoo.com> writes:

> Sorry if that sounds like clickbait, coming up with good e-mail subjects can be time consuming sometimes.I sometimes wish I would have written what I have done during the day, to keep track of my activity.
> I have recently adopted a workflow where I would open a new YYYYMMDD.log file on a daily basis and write try to keep a log of my daily activities.I then switched to howm, but that's just a detail which helps me browse files more conveniently.
> After approx 15 days of using this method, I find that at some days I forgot to write a lot of what I got done, or timewasters that kept me busy instead of doing actual work.
> I was thinking about setting some sort of reminder that would ask me, every hour (or half an hour) what I was doing ? so that I would be reminded of writing something in the activity log file.
>
> What do you guys think ? is emacs the good place to set such a reminder (I often use the browser so I might skip some notifications it they would only show in the emacs window, I guess... but then I don't think I'd spend a whole hour without looking at the emacs window at least once so this shouldn't be a problem I guess, I don't know... what do you think ?)
> -- Yassine.

* Re: What are you doing ?
@ 2017-03-02 10:14     ` chaouche yacine
From: chaouche yacine @ 2017-03-02 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák, Help GNU Emacs

Thanks for the comment Dan, so I would have to find a way to set a timer in emacs which would then call zenity or notify-send in some way I guess ?

    On Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:12 AM, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@cgc-instruments.com> wrote:

 Not really an answer, but you could use zenity or notify-send (at least
on Linux, don't know about other platforms) to get desktop notifications
from within Emacs.

Cheers,

Dan

chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche@yahoo.com> writes:

> Sorry if that sounds like clickbait, coming up with good e-mail subjects can be time consuming sometimes.I sometimes wish I would have written what I have done during the day, to keep track of my activity.
> I have recently adopted a workflow where I would open a new YYYYMMDD.log file on a daily basis and write try to keep a log of my daily activities.I then switched to howm, but that's just a detail which helps me browse files more conveniently.
> After approx 15 days of using this method, I find that at some days I forgot to write a lot of what I got done, or timewasters that kept me busy instead of doing actual work.
> I was thinking about setting some sort of reminder that would ask me, every hour (or half an hour) what I was doing ? so that I would be reminded of writing something in the activity log file.
>
> What do you guys think ? is emacs the good place to set such a reminder (I often use the browser so I might skip some notifications it they would only show in the emacs window, I guess... but then I don't think I'd spend a whole hour without looking at the emacs window at least once so this shouldn't be a problem I guess, I don't know... what do you think ?)
> -- Yassine.

* Re: What are you doing ?
@ 2017-03-02 10:39       ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2017-03-02 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I guess so. However try first if any of them work, last time I used them
was in the Gnome 2 days and I think I encountered some issues with Mate
and i3.
Concerning the timer in Emacs, you could give run-at-time a try (see
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Timers.html#Timers)

Cheers,

Dan

chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks for the comment Dan, so I would have to find a way to set a timer in emacs which would then call zenity or notify-send in some way I guess ?
>

>     On Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:12 AM, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@cgc-instruments.com> wrote:
>

>  Not really an answer, but you could use zenity or notify-send (at least
> on Linux, don't know about other platforms) to get desktop notifications
> from within Emacs.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry if that sounds like clickbait, coming up with good e-mail subjects can be time consuming sometimes.I sometimes wish I would have written what I have done during the day, to keep track of my activity.
>> I have recently adopted a workflow where I would open a new YYYYMMDD.log file on a daily basis and write try to keep a log of my daily activities.I then switched to howm, but that's just a detail which helps me browse files more conveniently.
>> After approx 15 days of using this method, I find that at some days I forgot to write a lot of what I got done, or timewasters that kept me busy instead of doing actual work.
>> I was thinking about setting some sort of reminder that would ask me, every hour (or half an hour) what I was doing ? so that I would be reminded of writing something in the activity log file.
>>
>> What do you guys think ? is emacs the good place to set such a reminder (I often use the browser so I might skip some notifications it they would only show in the emacs window, I guess... but then I don't think I'd spend a whole hour without looking at the emacs window at least once so this shouldn't be a problem I guess, I don't know... what do you think ?)
>> -- Yassine.

* Re: What are you doing ?
@ 2017-03-02 16:06         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-03-02 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@cgc-instruments.com> writes:

> I guess so. However try first if any of them work, last time I used them
> was in the Gnome 2 days and I think I encountered some issues with Mate
> and i3.
> Concerning the timer in Emacs, you could give run-at-time a try (see
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Timers.html#Timers)
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks for the comment Dan, so I would have to find a way to set a timer in emacs which would then call zenity or notify-send in some way I guess ?
>>

>>     On Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:12 AM, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@cgc-instruments.com> wrote:
>>

>>  Not really an answer, but you could use zenity or notify-send (at least
>> on Linux, don't know about other platforms) to get desktop notifications
>> from within Emacs.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Sorry if that sounds like clickbait, coming up with good e-mail
>>> subjects can be time consuming sometimes.I sometimes wish I would
>>> have written what I have done during the day, to keep track of my
>>> activity.
>>> I have recently adopted a workflow where I would open a new
>>> YYYYMMDD.log file on a daily basis and write try to keep a log of
>>> my daily activities.I then switched to howm, but that's just a
>>> detail which helps me browse files more conveniently.
>>> After approx 15 days of using this method, I find that at some days
>>> I forgot to write a lot of what I got done, or timewasters that
>>> kept me busy instead of doing actual work.
>>> I was thinking about setting some sort of reminder that would ask
>>> me, every hour (or half an hour) what I was doing ? so that I would
>>> be reminded of writing something in the activity log file.
>>>
>>> What do you guys think ? is emacs the good place to set such a
>>> reminder (I often use the browser so I might skip some
>>> notifications it they would only show in the emacs window, I
>>> guess... but then I don't think I'd spend a whole hour without
>>> looking at the emacs window at least once so this shouldn't be a
>>> problem I guess, I don't know... what do you think ?)
>>> -- Yassine.

appt.el (part of emacs) allows you to use your diary to send notifications
of pending appointments:

(info "(emacs) Appointments")

--
Nick