all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
@ 2012-03-18 18:16 taariqq
From: taariqq @ 2012-03-18 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Was looking for some help and google sent me to you guys. Hope I am not
intruding.
I've just downloaded emacs 23.4 for my winxp machine. To go into C mode by
typing M-x c-mode. I type the typical hello world program. I type M-x
compile to compile the program ... and this is where I am stuck. It is not
generating a.out. Either it gives me an error if I use make -k, or if I
compile w/o make command, it pops the program open in another window.

I have used emacs in the the past to compile and run C programs
successfully, but I am forgetting something or else.

Greatly appreciate it.

* Re: Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
@ 2012-03-18 20:21 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-18 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: taariqq; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.3.2012 um 19:16 schrieb taariqq:

> I am forgetting something or else

This seems to be a correct observation...

GNU Emacs' compile-mode by default uses make to produce a programme. When you want to compile a single file you can write a Makefile for it – or you substitute the default compile command (make -k) with a compiler invocation line. The best is when you invoke M-x compile RET from the window with source file – then the compilation will run in the same directory where the source file is. Of course a new window opens, named *compilation*. Maybe you can customise this behaviour if you don't like it... (Of course compilation mode allows you to run your programme in it.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

				– Oscar Wilde

* Re: Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
@ 2012-03-18 21:11   ` taariqq
From: taariqq @ 2012-03-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Peter, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to respond. When I do
M-x compile RET hello.c RET
the window that opens is not compilation or anything. It is a new instance
of emacs that opens up  (I have .c files associated with emacs) with the
same code for hello.c displayed in it. There seems to be window flashing by
just before that, but that is all

@ 2012-03-18 21:39 ` Lars Ljung
From: Lars Ljung @ 2012-03-18 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

taariqq <taariqq@gmail.com> writes:
> I've just downloaded emacs 23.4 for my winxp machine. To go into C mode by
> typing M-x c-mode. I type the typical hello world program. I type M-x
> compile to compile the program ... and this is where I am stuck. It is not
> generating a.out. Either it gives me an error if I use make -k, or if I

What C compiler have you installed?

MinGW (http://www.mingw.org/) probably works well together with Emacs
and M-x compile. It includes GCC, GNU make, and a bunch of other useful
stuff.

--
Lars Ljung

* Re: Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
@ 2012-03-18 21:57     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-03-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: taariqq; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.3.2012 um 22:11 schrieb taariqq:

> When I do
> M-x compile RET hello.c RET
> the window that opens is not compilation or anything. It is a new instance
> of emacs that opens up  (I have .c files associated with emacs) with the
> same code for hello.c displayed in it.

Because you're obviously running MS Losedos and since you do perform a compile action "apply C source file" a new instance of GNU Emacs is created to fulfil this.

As I wrote: don't "hello.c" something but compile it! At least me, I do not know of a C compiler named "hello.c". And this compiler seems to extremely clever, knowing which file to compile, how to compile it (32-bit/64-bit, object file, shared or static library, or executable).

To be more precise: I would M-x compile RET gcc  -I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib -fconstant-cfstrings -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../src -I.../emacs-23.4-mac-2.0/lib-src -I.../emacs-23.4-mac-2.0/lib-src/../src -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,-bind_at_load -Wl,-t   -v -g -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -Os -m64 -march=core2 -mtune=core2 -fomit-frame-pointer -msse4.2 .../emacs-23.4-mac-2.0/lib-src/digest-doc.c  -o digest-doc RET

--
Greetings

  Pete

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.
				– George W. Bush

* Re: Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
@ 2012-03-18 21:58     ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-03-18 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

taariqq <taariqq@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to respond. When I do
> M-x compile RET hello.c RET the window that opens is not compilation
> or anything. It is a new instance of emacs that opens up (I have .c
> files associated with emacs) with the same code for hello.c displayed
> in it. There seems to be window flashing by just before that, but that
> is all

M-x compile RET asks you for the compile command.  For starters, try M-x
compile RET gcc hello.c RET.

        Christopher

* Re: Newbie - Can't compile and run C program
@ 2012-03-18 22:05       ` taariqq
From: taariqq @ 2012-03-18 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Chris,
M-x compile ... brings 'Compile commant:' prompt ... upon typing
gcc hello.c RET ... it says gcc is not recognized as an external or internal
command, operable program or batch file
Compilation exited abnormally

@ 2012-03-18 22:08 ` taariqq
From: taariqq @ 2012-03-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

What command was it, to keep the window open and waiting for input before
being closed, so one could see the output of simple programs like hello
world?
I see cin.get(); being mentioned for C++, but I can't locate the one for C

@ 2012-03-18 22:32       ` taariqq
From: taariqq @ 2012-03-18 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Chris,
I have also downloaded Cygwin with emacs ... I gave the command to it and it
seems to have worked ... it says 'compilation finished' ....

Now what do I do? :)