all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why is shell env different in emacs shell mode than normal shell
@ 2012-03-09 17:10 AngusC
From: AngusC @ 2012-03-09 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am running emacs 23.3.1 on Windows 7.  Using the standard command line I
have tab auto-completion but this doesn't work if in emacs I use M-x shell.
Is this normal?  do I need to configure something in the emacs config file?

Angus

* Re: Why is shell env different in emacs shell mode than normal shell
@ 2012-03-09 17:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-03-09 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:10:48 -0800 (PST)
> From: AngusC <anguscomber@gmail.com>
>
> I am running emacs 23.3.1 on Windows 7.  Using the standard command line I
> have tab auto-completion but this doesn't work if in emacs I use M-x shell.
> Is this normal?

It works for me, so what you see is not "normal".

Does it work for you in "emacs -Q"?  If it does, then there's
something in your .emacs that causes the trouble.

* Re: Why is shell env different in emacs shell mode than normal shell
@ 2012-03-09 17:45 ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-03-09 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

AngusC <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> I am running emacs 23.3.1 on Windows 7.  Using the standard command
> line I have tab auto-completion but this doesn't work if in emacs I
> use M-x shell.  Is this normal?  do I need to configure something in
> the emacs config file?

To take advantage of Emacs's text processing power, M-x shell RET has to
make some trade-offs.  This includes no real support of ncurses or no
support for native (bash) completion.

To get a real interactive terminal, try M-x term RET.  Other than that,
you could try to write your own completion function in Elisp.  Check
`shell-dynamic-complete-functions'.

        Christopher

* Re: Why is shell env different in emacs shell mode than normal shell
@ 2012-03-09 18:45   ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-03-09 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Schmidt <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> writes:

> To get a real interactive terminal, try M-x term RET.  Other than
> that, you could try to write your own completion function in Elisp.
> Check `shell-dynamic-complete-functions'.

https://github.com/szermatt/emacs-bash-completion

        Christopher