all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Printer Problems
@ 2010-11-17  2:09 John Burns
From: John Burns @ 2010-11-17  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Mark for the advice on how to fix my printer/emacs problem.
John Burns

* Printer problems
@ 2012-12-01 14:25 Michel Chassey
From: Michel Chassey @ 2012-12-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello everyone,
as the subject says, I can't get my  "Photosmart-C4400-series is ready"
to respond to any printer command.
The version command says LGNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.24.10) of 2012-09-21 on batsu, modified by Debian on Ubuntu 12.10
A search for printer problems turned up posts about bug reports and
analysing lisp code. What I can't understand is why Emacs cannot print out
of the box.

Thanks for your help,
Michel Chassey

* Re: Printer problems
       [not found] <mailman.14254.1354386889.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-12-01 22:08 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2012-12-01 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello everyone,
> as the subject says, I can't get my  "Photosmart-C4400-series is ready"
> to respond to any printer command.
> The version command says LGNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
> Version 2.24.10) of 2012-09-21 on batsu, modified by Debian on Ubuntu 12.10
> A search for printer problems turned up posts about bug reports and
> analysing lisp code. What I can't understand is why Emacs cannot print out
> of the box.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Michel Chassey

To get around postscript problems you can use Lennart Borgman's
hfyview.el to write the buffer, region, window, or frame to your browser
and then print from there, and in color. You may have to set fill-column
to something reasonable before invoking the hfyview functions because
long lines will be truncated. Put hfyview.el, htmlfontify.el and
easymenu.el into your .../lisp or ... /site-lisp directories if they're
not alread there and (require 'hfyview) in your .emacs This will add a
Quick Print option to your menu bar (under File).
It works in the w32 build anyway and since it's elisp it should work on
any platform.

Ed

> --

* Re: Printer problems
@ 2012-12-02  0:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-12-02  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Chassey; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.12.2012 um 15:25 schrieb Michel Chassey:

> as the subject says, I can't get my  "Photosmart-C4400-series is ready"
> to respond to any printer command.

Which is your printer command?

Can you use instead of a ps-print-* command the matching ps-spool-* command? The latter will produce a buffer *PostScript*. You can save that buffer's contents to a file. Can you view the file in a PostScript viewer? Can you convert it to PDF and display the PDF file? Finally: can you manually print the PS or PDF file? Which utilities did you use to display and convert?

Are the variables printer-name (for ASCII) or ps-printer-name (for PS/PDF) set in GNU Emacs? How is printing working when you launch (another) GNU Emacs with -Q, i.e., without any customisation (except that by debian/ubuntu)?

Another option is stop the printing system. Then everything you send to the printer is just spooled into a queue, in /var/spool/cups or such. You then can examine what was sent to the printer.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

One-Shot Case Study, n.:
	The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from which it is concluded all clovers possess four leaves and are sometimes green.

* Re: Printer problems
@ 2012-12-02  4:53   ` Michel Chassey
From: Michel Chassey @ 2012-12-02  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

So, something in my config files is breaking emacs printing ? Starting emacs
from a terminal using emacs -Q results in print-region and ps-print-region
working  and ... printing.
in /var/spool/cups are a series of files from c00001 to c00009  that contain
the name of my printer.
I used copy and paste into a graphical text editor for printing chores. Very
Klunky !

mit friedvollen grüßen - with peaceful salute google translation :)

Michel

* Re: Printer problems
@ 2012-12-02 10:39     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-12-02 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Chassey; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.12.2012 um 05:53 schrieb Michel Chassey:

> in /var/spool/cups are a series of files from c00001 to c00009  that contain
> the name of my printer.

These are the control files for the print job. They are used for example by the browser based CUPS interface. The important files are the d-files, for example d12345-001.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: Printer problems
@ 2012-12-02 14:44       ` Michel Chassey
From: Michel Chassey @ 2012-12-02 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

ls -la revealed no d******* files in my cups directory, only the c*******
files plus an empty tmp directory.
I think I found the faulty line in .emacs : under (custom-set-variables I
had : ;; '(printer-name "LPT1") which I ";;" to experiment.

Thanks for the help,

Michel

* Re: Printer problems
@ 2012-12-02 15:37         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-12-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Chassey; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.12.2012 um 15:44 schrieb Michel Chassey:

> '(printer-name "LPT1")

Isn't that the parallel printer port of a Losedos PC? Linux has other interfaces – and can use CUPS!

The d-files only exist when a print job is in the queue. If you can't stop the queue with (sudo) lpc or with the CUPS interface (http://localhost:631/) you can switch off the printer and send something to the printer. This job with all its files will queued for some time…

--
Greetings

  Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
				- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

* Re: Printer problems
@ 2012-12-03  5:37           ` Michel Chassey
From: Michel Chassey @ 2012-12-03  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Yep, I did LoseDOS some years back. Must be MSDOS coming bach to haunt me.
Now I have : printer-name is a variable defined in `lpr.el'.
Its value is nil
and I did finally find : root@pcdemichelc:/var/spool/cups# du -h d00013-001
4,0K	d00013-001 with my queued text in it.

Thanks
Michel