all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
@ 2012-02-03  5:52 rickhw
From: rickhw @ 2012-02-03  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I have been using emacs for decades and have never had difficulty loading my
.emacs file

but with this latest install on 64bit windows 7 with:

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2011-04-02 on YAMALOK

I cannot get it to load no matter where I put it, and I cannot even load it
manually when I have it in the current buffer?

is there some new trick for this newer version that i am missing???

please help.

* Re: loading init files, just a simple old .emacs file for starters
@ 2012-02-03  8:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-02-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 21:52:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: rickhw <rick.woolley@gmail.com>
>

> I have been using emacs for decades and have never had difficulty loading my
> .emacs file
>
> but with this latest install on 64bit windows 7 with:
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2011-04-02 on YAMALOK

This is a very old snapshot of Emacs 24.  Why not use the latest
pretest instead?  (However, I don't think this is the source of your
problems.)

> I cannot get it to load no matter where I put it, and I cannot even load it
> manually when I have it in the current buffer?

If you type

  C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

do you see the contents of your .emacs file, or do you see an empty
buffer with a "(New file)" message in the echo area?  If the latter,
you didn't put your .emacs where Emacs expects to find it.

If the above doesn't help, please describe where you tried to put your
.emacs.

* RE: loading init files, just a simple old .emacs file for starters
@ 2012-02-03  8:22 ` Jiaxin Cao
From: Jiaxin Cao @ 2012-02-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'rickhw', Help-gnu-emacs

It works well on my PC. I am using 32bit Windows 7. My emacs version is "GNU
Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2011-04-02 on YAMALOK".

Are you sure that your .emacs is correct? Can you put it here if it's not
too long?

@ 2012-02-03 12:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-02-03 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rickhw; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 3.2.2012 um 06:52 schrieb rickhw:

> is there some new trick for this newer version that i am missing???

What is the value of the variable user-init-file?

--
Greetings

  Pete

From error to error, one discovers the entire truth.
				- Sigmund Freud

* Re: loading init files, just a simple old .emacs file for starters
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-02-03 17:35 ` rickhw
From: rickhw @ 2012-02-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I found the problem, near the top of my .emacs file I was loading a
emacs.nnn.el file (without the .el extention specified) and, on ~/ (c:\ in
this case) I had both the byte compiled .elc and the .el file, so emacs was
was too old and was compiled in a way not compatible with my new
environment. Deleting the .elc version, forcing emacs to instead load the
.el file fixed my problem.

Many thanks for the quick response and the excellent suggestions