all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ange-ftp in emacs behind a router/firewall stops at ls...
@ 2002-09-18  0:28 Snake Djip
From: Snake Djip @ 2002-09-18  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've searched the group for information on using ange-ftp in emacs.

My setup is this :

DSL connection going to a Linksys Wireless Access Point (BEFW11S4),
and my PC is connected to the router.

I can connect to any FTP server on the internet using a regular FTP
client such as WS_FTP.

When I try with Emacs, it hangs after I enter the password.  During
the "hang", I see the router lights flash continuously, which means
that ange-ftp is constantly trying to accomplish something.  If I
Ctrl-G the process, and I look at the log, it seems to hang at the
"ls" command.

I can reproduce the same behaviour when using the regular FTP client
without Passive transfers...  the lights on the router are flashing,
and the connection is never complete (I never get a directory
listing).

Here's my .emacs (at least the part concerning ange-ftp) :

(require 'ange-ftp)
(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "d:/windows/system32/ftp.exe")
(setq ange-ftp-tmp-name-template
      (concat (expand-file-name (getenv "TEMP")) "/ange-ftp/"))
(setq ange-ftp-gateway-tmp-name-template
      (concat (expand-file-name (getenv "TEMP")) "/ange-ftp/"))
(setq ange-ftp-smart-gateway "192.168.1.1")

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks.

* Re: ange-ftp in emacs behind a router/firewall stops at ls...
@ 2002-09-18  8:42 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-18  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

snakedjip@yahoo.com (Snake Djip) writes:

> I can reproduce the same behaviour when using the regular FTP client
> without Passive transfers...  the lights on the router are flashing,
> and the connection is never complete (I never get a directory
> listing).

Does your ftp client grok a command line argument to make it use
passive mode?  Then you can tell ange-ftp to use that.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: ange-ftp in emacs behind a router/firewall stops at ls...
@ 2002-09-18 15:27   ` Snake Djip
From: Snake Djip @ 2002-09-18 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I find that out, this is ws_ftp on windows XP ...

@ 2002-09-19 13:35     ` Snake Djip
From: Snake Djip @ 2002-09-19 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, it turns out it wasn't a problem with Emacs, it was my Linksys
BEFW11S4 router's firmware version (1.42.7) which prevented the FTP
from working.  I flashed it with 1.40.3, and it now works...  Hope
this will be helpful for someone in the future...

@ 2002-09-20 13:45     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-20 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

snakedjip@yahoo.com (Snake Djip) writes:

> How do I find that out, this is ws_ftp on windows XP ...

Emacs uses ftp.exe, not another program.  I don't know how to read
documentation on programs in Windows.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)