all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems after upgrade
@ 2009-05-08 15:43 Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2009-05-08 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Because off org-mode I needed to upgrade Emacs. I now installed
22.3.1. Before I had a 21 version. I do not know wich one. I have now
a few problems.

I use flyspell. In the old version this used ispell, but the new
version wants to use aspell. I fixed this by putting into my .emacs:
    (setq-default ispell-program-name "ispell")
Now ispell is used again.

In my .emacs I have:
    (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "nederlands")
But this is not the dictionary used. When opening a buffer English
words are seen as correct, but Dutch words (nederlands) as not
correct. When I evaluate ispell-local-dictionary it says nederlands.
When I change the dictionary through tools->spell checking->change
dictionary to nederlands, ispell-local-dictionary still evaluates to
nederlands, but from then on Dutch words are seen as correct and
English words as incorrect.
What is happening here? And more important: how can I solve this?

On a side note: what are the differences between aspell and ispell?

Another change is that regions are not visible anymore. I put in
my .emacs:
    (transient-mark-mode 1)
and now it works again. Are the defaults changed?

The last problem is that previously the *GNU Emacs* buffer would be
killed with any action I did. (Or C-l if I wanted it to be killed, but
did not want to do something.) Now I need to kill the buffer manually.
What is happening here.?

* RE: Problems after upgrade
@ 2009-05-08 17:09 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.6854.1241802613.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-05-08 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Decebal', help-gnu-emacs

> Because off org-mode I needed to upgrade Emacs. I now installed
> 22.3.1. Before I had a 21 version. I do not know wich one.

Congratulations! Emacs 22 is far, far better than Emacs 21 (IMHO).

> I have now a few problems.
>
> I use flyspell.

I can't help with that. Hopefully, someone else can.

> Another change is that regions are not visible anymore. I put in
> my .emacs: (transient-mark-mode 1)
> and now it works again. Are the defaults changed?

In Emacs 21 transient-mark-mode is off by default also. Perhaps you had
something in your init file that turned it on? If you try `emacs -q
--no-site-file' in Emacs 21, I think you will see the same thing - no
transient-mark-mode, by default.

> The last problem is that previously the *GNU Emacs* buffer would be
> killed with any action I did. (Or C-l if I wanted it to be killed, but
> did not want to do something.) Now I need to kill the buffer manually.
> What is happening here.?

Sorry, I don't follow; perhaps someone else can help here. What is the *GNU
Emacs* buffer? If you start Emacs 22 with `emacs -Q', do you get a *GNU Emacs*
buffer?

Perhaps you could describe just what you do to reproduce the problem, starting
with `emacs -Q'. (We can't debug an init file we know nothing about.)

* Re: Problems after upgrade
       [not found] ` <mailman.6854.1241802613.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-08 17:36   ` Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2009-05-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 mei, 19:09, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Because off org-mode I needed to upgrade Emacs. I now installed
> > 22.3.1. Before I had a 21 version. I do not know wich one.
>
> Congratulations! Emacs 22 is far, far better than Emacs 21 (IMHO).

On another system I was allready working with 22. I did not see
differences. But offcourse it 'never' hurts to use the latest version.

> > Another change is that regions are not visible anymore. I put in
> > my .emacs: (transient-mark-mode 1)
> > and now it works again. Are the defaults changed?
>
> In Emacs 21 transient-mark-mode is off by default also. Perhaps you had
> something in your init file that turned it on? If you try `emacs -q
> --no-site-file' in Emacs 21, I think you will see the same thing - no
> transient-mark-mode, by default.

I do not have the 21 version anymore, so I can not try that. But that
should not be the case. I only changed the version. My configuration
files did not change.

> > The last problem is that previously the *GNU Emacs* buffer would be
> > killed with any action I did. (Or C-l if I wanted it to be killed, but
> > did not want to do something.) Now I need to kill the buffer manually.
> > What is happening here.?
>
> Sorry, I don't follow; perhaps someone else can help here. What is the *GNU
> Emacs* buffer? If you start Emacs 22 with `emacs -Q', do you get a *GNU Emacs*
> buffer?
>
> Perhaps you could describe just what you do to reproduce the problem, starting
> with `emacs -Q'. (We can't debug an init file we know nothing about.)

Then you get it yes. When starting with -q, there are the following
buffers:
    .%  *GNU Emacs*            810  Fundamental
        *scratch*              191  Lisp Interaction
      * *Messages*              81  Fundamental

It is the first buffer. But the problem is 'solved'. I copied the
configuration of the other Emacs. Now desktop save works again (it is
different in 21 and 22, the sime with hide toolbar). I closed the
buffer, that is saved, so the buffer will not show up anymore, so no
problem that it not closes automatically.

* Re: Problems after upgrade
       [not found] ` <mailman.6854.1241802613.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-08 18:09 ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found] ` <mailman.6856.1241806109.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2009-05-08 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Decebal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal wrote:
> Because off org-mode I needed to upgrade Emacs. I now installed
> 22.3.1. Before I had a 21 version. I do not know wich one. I have now
> a few problems.
>
> I use flyspell. In the old version this used ispell, but the new
> version wants to use aspell. I fixed this by putting into my .emacs:
>     (setq-default ispell-program-name "ispell")
> Now ispell is used again.
>
> In my .emacs I have:
>     (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "nederlands")
> But this is not the dictionary used. When opening a buffer English
> words are seen as correct, but Dutch words (nederlands) as not
> correct. When I evaluate ispell-local-dictionary it says nederlands.
> When I change the dictionary through tools->spell checking->change
> dictionary to nederlands, ispell-local-dictionary still evaluates to
> nederlands, but from then on Dutch words are seen as correct and
> English words as incorrect.
> What is happening here? And more important: how can I solve this?
>
> On a side note: what are the differences between aspell and ispell?

Last time I asked that for myself aspell had a better guessing of the
right word.
(Machines differ internly.)
Also only aspell was able to use more than one dict - thus enabling
context-sensitiveness.

With aspell now I feel better.

Maybe just a feeling. :)

Andreas

> Another change is that regions are not visible anymore. I put in
> my .emacs:
>     (transient-mark-mode 1)
> and now it works again. Are the defaults changed?
>
> The last problem is that previously the *GNU Emacs* buffer would be
> killed with any action I did. (Or C-l if I wanted it to be killed, but
> did not want to do something.) Now I need to kill the buffer manually.
> What is happening here.?

* Re: Problems after upgrade
       [not found] ` <mailman.6856.1241806109.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-08 19:08   ` Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2009-05-08 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8 mei, 20:09, Andreas Röhler <andreas.roeh...@easy-emacs.de> wrote:
> > On a side note: what are the differences between aspell and ispell?
>
> Last time I asked that for myself aspell had a better guessing of the
> right word.
> (Machines differ internly.)
> Also only aspell was able to use more than one dict - thus enabling
> context-sensitiveness.
>
> With aspell now I feel better.
>
> Maybe just a feeling. :)

I saw that on my system aspell had a lot more dictionaries as ispell,
so I now use also aspell. ;-}