On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote: > On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:21:46 +0300, Nurullah Akkaya > wrote: > > AFAIK for 23 your only change is to compile it your self but it is > > really easy. > > ITYM `chance', but yes. After struggling a bit with the > packaging of Debian, I decided it isn't worth the trouble and > compiled my own snapsnot of Emacs too. > > > To build it from source first make sure you have the following > > packages installed > > > > build-essential > > xorg-dev > > libgtk2.0-dev > > libjpg-dev > > libgif-dev > > libtiff-dev > > > > then checkout latest code using > > > > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co > emacs > > > > this will create an emacs directory and put the sources in it. > > > > in order to build it go in to the directory and issue > > > > ./configure > > make bootstrap > > make > > make install > > > > that's it. > > NOTE: `make' is not necessary after `make bootstrap', and `sudo > make install' may be more useful when not building with superuser > credentials. > > Having said that, this is a *very* nice, short and useful > description of some build requirements for Emacs 23.X on Debian > GNU/Linux. Is there isn't already a page about this, do you > think we can convince you to add it to the EmacsWiki? > > While you are at it, it may also be useful to list dependencies > like `libm17n-dev' for multilingual text support, `libpng12-dev' > and `librsvg2-dev' for more image formats, and `libotf-dev' for > OpenType font support. > > If you have a bit of time and you can add this to the Wiki, that > would be great. If you are a bit busy but you would feel ok > about someone else copying the text you wrote and using it as a > basis for a page of the EmacsWiki, just email me and I will add > the page. > > I have created a page http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsSnapshotAndDebian and linked it from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryBuilding Feel free to edit/add anything. -- Nurullah Akkaya http://nakkaya.com