all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a  shell inside emacs?
@ 2009-04-19 21:51 Lucius Fox
From: Lucius Fox @ 2009-04-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a
shell inside emacs?
(M-x shell)

Thank you.

* Re: How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a shell inside emacs?
@ 2009-04-19 22:03 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-19 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lucius Fox; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.04.2009 um 23:51 schrieb Lucius Fox:

> How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a
> shell inside emacs?

It depends on your login shell's syntax. You can put into the file
~/.emacs_<login shell's name> a command like

	. ~/.profile

for Bourne like shells or

	source ~/.profile

for csh like shells. Other shells will also have their syntax.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
				– Oscar Wilde

* Re: How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a shell inside emacs?
@ 2009-04-19 22:09   ` Lucius Fox
From: Lucius Fox @ 2009-04-19 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. But how can I do that automatically?

This is because right now, when I start a shell, it source in my
'.profile' automatically.
But when I start a shell within emacs, it does not source in my .profile.

Thank you.

@ 2009-04-19 22:19     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-19 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lucius Fox; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.04.2009 um 00:09 schrieb Lucius Fox:

> Thanks. But how can I do that automatically?

What do you mean by "automatically?" Is putting the command into the
file ~/.emacs_<login shell's name> not enough "automatic?" Should GNU
Emacs write this file's contents onto disk? Before it launches the
first time ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
			– I. Kant
To do is to be.
			– A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
			– F. Flintstone

* Re: How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a shell inside emacs?
@ 2009-04-20  4:58       ` Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-04-20  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 20.04.2009 um 00:09 schrieb Lucius Fox:
>
>  Thanks. But how can I do that automatically?
>>

> What do you mean by "automatically?" Is putting the command into the file
> ~/.emacs_<login shell's name> not enough "automatic?" Should GNU Emacs write
> this file's contents onto disk? Before it launches the first time ...
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> To be is to do.
>                        – I. Kant
> To do is to be.
>                        – A. Sartre
> Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
>                        – F. Flintstone

or as an alternative you can use term-mode which is a full blown terminal
emulator.
it will automatically read your .bashrc file like a regular terminal. as a
bonus you can
run any type of application inside it including curses based ones.

--
Nurullah Akkaya
http://nakkaya.com

* Re: How to configure emacs so that it run my '.profile' when I start a shell inside emacs?
@ 2009-04-20  8:29         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-20  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nurullah Akkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.04.2009 um 06:58 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:

> it will automatically read your .bashrc file like a regular terminal

... which is not ~/.profile ... (obviously Lucius has problems with
the setup of his login shell)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue