all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using request.el question: what is function*?
@ 2018-07-22 13:42 tzach.livyatan
       [not found] ` <mailman.4021.1532267733.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tzach.livyatan @ 2018-07-22 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello
elisp n00b here

I'm trying to use an example of request.el

(request
 "http://httpbin.org/get"
 :params '(("key" . "value") ("key2" . "value2"))
 :parser 'json-read
 :success (function*
           (lambda (&key data &allow-other-keys)
             (message "I sent: %S" (assoc-default 'args data)))))

http://tkf.github.io/emacs-request/#examples

and getting
request: Symbol’s function definition is void: function*

Where do function* macro(?) is coming from? The name makes it very hard to Google this issue.

Thanks
Tzach

* Re: Using request.el question: what is function*?
@ 2018-07-22 13:55 ` Noam Postavsky
       [not found] ` <mailman.4021.1532267733.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-07-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 July 2018 at 09:42,  <tzach.livyatan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where do function* macro(?) is coming from? The name makes it very hard to Google this issue.

If you've loaded cl.el, then <f1> f function* RET will tell you. It
looks like the current request.el uses cl-function already.

function* is an alias for ‘cl-function’ in ‘cl.el’.

(function* FUNC)

Introduce a function.
Like normal ‘function’, except that if argument is a lambda form,
its argument list allows full Common Lisp conventions.

@ 2018-07-22 14:00   ` Tzach Livyatan
From: Tzach Livyatan @ 2018-07-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the prompt response!
I did not load cl.el, and that was indeed the problem.