all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Mattias Engdegård" <mattiase@acm.org>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 62020@debbugs.gnu.org, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
	Federico Tedin <federicotedin@gmail.com>
Subject: bug#62020: Lisp reader: dotted pair notation not working when initial elements are omitted
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:31:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Eli, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

>> one should be able to evaluate e.g.:
>>    (. 1)
>> to:
>>    1

Federico, it would be very easy to change the reader into behaving that way and I'll do that if required, but before I or anyone else change code or docs, and above all much more important and interesting would be to hear exactly why it matters to you and how you were affected by this corner of the reader semantics.

Could be it that you saw the manual passage, decided to try it out -- which is good, we want more people to do that -- and observed that Emacs and the manual didn't agree on that point?

As far as I can tell while researching ahead of the previous changed, the documented (old) reader semantics was merely emergent behaviour of an under-constrained implementation, never a purposeful design for user convenience.

No other Lisp (Common Lisp, Scheme etc) implementation known to me provides such a reader 'feature', and no evidence of any use of it was found at the time. This is why your report is of such interest: did it actually break existing code, and if so, how exactly?