all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatically performing simple tasks at startup
@ 2011-07-07 20:42 roosh1
From: roosh1 @ 2011-07-07 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I can't find a way for Emacs to do some simple things automatically at every
start-up. Can anyone help me make Emacs do the following things at start-up:

1) Split the window into 2 (I have to do a "C-x 2")

2) Run scheme in the  bottom  buffer (I do a "alt-x run-scheme")

3) If I open a scheme file (ie double click it, which starts Emacs), could
Emacs automatically do (1) and (2) and also load my file into the top
buffer.

Thanks for any help.

* Re: Automatically performing simple tasks at startup
@ 2011-07-08  6:39 ` Pavel Sokolov
From: Pavel Sokolov @ 2011-07-08  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: roosh1; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi, roosh1,

You may use after-init-hook to do (1) and (2) at start-up. Sample code
is following:

(add-hook 'after-init-hook #'(lambda ()
			       (split-window-vertically)
			       (other-window 1)
			       (run-scheme "you-arg-here")))

Also you may add same code to the 'find-file-hook hook to do (3)
automatically.

Cheers

> I can't find a way for Emacs to do some simple things automatically at every
> start-up. Can anyone help me make Emacs do the following things at start-up:
>
> 1) Split the window into 2 (I have to do a "C-x 2")
>
> 2) Run scheme in the  bottom  buffer (I do a "alt-x run-scheme")
>
> 3) If I open a scheme file (ie double click it, which starts Emacs), could
> Emacs automatically do (1) and (2) and also load my file into the top
> buffer.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> --

---------------------
Pavel Sokolov

* Re: Automatically performing simple tasks at startup
@ 2011-07-08  9:06 ` Tom Willemsen
From: Tom Willemsen @ 2011-07-08  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: roosh1; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On 07 Jul 13:42, roosh1 wrote:

> I can't find a way for Emacs to do some simple things automatically at every
> start-up. Can anyone help me make Emacs do the following things at start-up:
>
> 1) Split the window into 2 (I have to do a "C-x 2")
>
> 2) Run scheme in the  bottom  buffer (I do a "alt-x run-scheme")
>
> 3) If I open a scheme file (ie double click it, which starts Emacs), could
> Emacs automatically do (1) and (2) and also load my file into the top
> buffer.

Would putting something like:

(split-window-above-each-other)
(other-window 1)
(run-scheme "scheme")
(other-window -1)

Somewhere (near the end?) of your ~/.emacs possibly do the trick?

* Re: Automatically performing simple tasks at startup
@ 2011-07-08 14:48 ` Wang Lei
From: Wang Lei @ 2011-07-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-07-08 04:42:21 +0800, roosh1 wrote:
> I can't find a way for Emacs to do some simple things automatically at every
> start-up. Can anyone help me make Emacs do the following things at start-up:
>
> 1) Split the window into 2 (I have to do a "C-x 2")
>
> 2) Run scheme in the  bottom  buffer (I do a "alt-x run-scheme")
>
> 3) If I open a scheme file (ie double click it, which starts Emacs), could
> Emacs automatically do (1) and (2) and also load my file into the top
> buffer.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Try this. Add the 3 lines to your .emacs.

(split-window-vertically)
(run-scheme)
(other-window 1)

--
Regards,
Lei

* Re: Automatically performing simple tasks at startup
@ 2011-07-09 21:39   ` roosh1
From: roosh1 @ 2011-07-09 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Tom Willemsen wrote:

> Would putting something like:
>
> (split-window-above-each-other)
> (other-window 1)
> (run-scheme "scheme")
> (other-window -1)
>
> Somewhere (near the end?) of your ~/.emacs possibly do the trick?

Yes, it works! The only change I had to make was to put my scheme program
name: "stk" instead of "scheme" in line 3 of above.

Thanks so much.