Stefan Vollmar wrote: > Dear Drew, > > On 19.05.2010, at 17:07, Drew Adams wrote: > > >> we need to have an internal rollout of Emacs where we want to > >> put some institute-specific defaults in a site-start.el (or > >> default.el) file. I can see why one generally should not set > >> "inhibit-startup-screen" as a default for new users, in our > >> case (we try to provide internal documentation and courses) > >> it seems justified. If we put > >> > >> (setq inhibit-startup-screen t) > >> > >> in site-start.el we still get the Emacs splashscreen. Is > >> there a way to avoid the splashscreen other than using > >> user-specific .emacs files?-- Just curious: Why do so many people loathe the splash screen? Why is it controversial? Joel -- Joel J. Adamson Servedio Lab University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill FSF Member #8164 http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj