all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to use shell aliases in emacs
@ 2011-05-02 20:27 acku
From: acku @ 2011-05-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

After defining aliases in my .cshrc, when I use them through the shell in
emacs, it shows abrupt behavior.

For e.g.
alias a 'cd /var/tmp'

If I use this alias, the current directory path in the buffer is still the
old directory.
 How do I rectify this issue ?

* Re: Unable to use shell aliases in emacs
@ 2011-05-03  8:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-05-03  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acku; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.05.2011 um 22:27 schrieb acku:

> How do I rectify this issue ?

By not using these csh aliases and instead using completion in *shell*
buffer. Or by issuing 'M-x dirs' afterwards.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the
entire catalogue.
		–  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897

* Re: Unable to use shell aliases in emacs
@ 2011-05-03  8:51   ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-05-03  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

03/05/11 10:29, Peter Dyballa
> Am 02.05.2011 um 22:27 schrieb acku:
>
>> How do I rectify this issue ?
>

> By not using these csh aliases and instead using completion in *shell*
> buffer. Or by issuing 'M-x dirs' afterwards.

Or see
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Directory-Tracking.html