all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bookmarks plus and ? help
@ 2014-03-22 13:24 Alan
From: Alan @ 2014-03-22 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

To set context, the readme file for bookmarks+ says:

1. From the bookmark list (`C-x r l'):
      Use `?' to show the current bookmark-list status and general
      help

While researching use of bookmark tags I noted that "?" used in this manner does not describe function "bmkp-copy-tags" or the key sequence that invokes it.  The *Help* buffer resulting from "?" does include the lines

T > C-y	- Add tags copied from a bookmark to those marked (`C-u': all)
T > q	- Replace tags of marked with copied tags         (`C-u': all)

which make it clear that there must be a command that copies bookmark tags.

This leads me to wonder if this omission is deliberate--for the sake of brevity?

The same can be said of other tag commands, which have the same key map prefix:

C-x p t V	bmkp-set-tag-value-for-navlist
C-x p t c	bmkp-copy-tags
C-x p t p	bmkp-paste-add-tags
C-x p t q	bmkp-paste-replace-tags

(taken from the 'describe-bindings *Help* buffer--but I've not attempted to make a complete list)

For reference, The Commentary file says:

There are many more keys and commands for editing bookmark tags.
 You can copy tags (`C-x p t c') from one bookmark and paste them
 to others, either replacing the original tags (`C-x p t C-y') or
 adding to them (`C-x p t q').

* RE: bookmarks plus and ? help
@ 2014-03-23 19:40 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-03-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan, help-gnu-emacs

> While researching use of bookmark tags I noted that "?" used in this manner
> does not describe function "bmkp-copy-tags" or the key sequence that invokes
> it.  The *Help* buffer resulting from "?" does include the lines
>
> T > C-y	- Add tags copied from a bookmark to those marked (`C-u': all)
> T > q	- Replace tags of marked with copied tags         (`C-u': all)
>
> which make it clear that there must be a command that copies bookmark tags.
>
> This leads me to wonder if this omission is deliberate--for the sake of
> brevity?
>
> The same can be said of other tag commands, which have the same key map
> prefix:
>
> C-x p t V	bmkp-set-tag-value-for-navlist
> C-x p t c	bmkp-copy-tags
> C-x p t p	bmkp-paste-add-tags
> C-x p t q	bmkp-paste-replace-tags

Thanks for the report.  I've updated the help (key `?').  You can download
the latest from Emacs Wiki now or wait (up to a day) for it to be available
on MELPA.