all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs on cygwin, hangs on startup
@ 2008-02-11  9:45 Martin Barth
From: Martin Barth @ 2008-02-11  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi there,

I have cygwin installed on my WinXP PC. in my terminal I want to use emacs
but it hangs on startup:

the last thing i can see is:

if i start emacs with -q it starts normally.

can you give me any hints how i can fix it?

regards
Martin

* Re: emacs on cygwin, hangs on startup
@ 2008-02-11 10:22 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-11 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Barth; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.02.2008 um 10:45 schrieb Martin Barth:

> if i start emacs with -q it starts normally.
>
> can you give me any hints how i can fix it?

This means that something in your init file, ~/.emacs, is not OK (see
'emacs --help'). What you can do is edit this file (for example in
GNU Emacs launched with -q or -Q) and comment one half. Save (and
stay in this editor to be able to simply undo the previous change).
Launch GNU Emacs. If it comes up, then the error is in the commented
half. If it does not come up, then the error is in the uncommented
half. By further dividing the faulty region (which can mean to undo
previous comments and then comment the fine one and one half of the
un-commented region) you'll reach the line with the faulty statement.

You can also try to add at the init file's beginning:

	(setq debug-on-error t)

This could make GNU Emacs launch and display a *Backtrace* buffer.
It's lines will be truncated. M-x toggle-truncate-lines RET will un-
clip them. Sometimes you don't need to do this, then you might see a
text that points to a particular character position. Then it's very
easy to find the error:

	M-x goto-char RET <the number> RET

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count,
and those who cannot.