all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Multiple delayed messages in echo area
@ 2003-01-09 10:58 Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2003-01-09 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I try to get multiple messages displayed in the echo-area, with a small
delay between each message. The messages should be displayed each after
another when Emacs is idle (and not idle, if possible...)

How can I do this with GNU Emacs 21.2 ?

I've searched around the `timer' (run-with-idle-timer?) functions and
`sit-for' functions, but I can't get what I exactly want.

Any idea?

Thanks for the help,

--Bastien

* Re: Multiple delayed messages in echo area
@ 2003-01-09 17:31 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-01-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien Guerry wrote:

> I try to get multiple messages displayed in the echo-area, with a small
> delay between each message. The messages should be displayed each after
> another when Emacs is idle (and not idle, if possible...)
>
> How can I do this with GNU Emacs 21.2 ?
>
> I've searched around the `timer' (run-with-idle-timer?) functions and
> `sit-for' functions, but I can't get what I exactly want.

Here's how VM does it:

(defconst vm-startup-message-lines
   '("Please use \\[vm-submit-bug-report] to report bugs."
     "For discussion about the VM mail reader, see the gnu.emacs.vm.info newsgroup"
     "You may give out copies of VM.  Type \\[vm-show-copying-restrictions] to
see the conditions"
     "VM comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; type \\[vm-show-no-warranty] for
full details"))

(defun vm-display-startup-message ()
   (if (sit-for 5)
       (let ((lines vm-startup-message-lines))
	(message "VM %s, Copyright %s 2001 Kyle E. Jones; type ? for help"
		 vm-version (if vm-xemacs-p "\251" "(C)"))
	(setq vm-startup-message-displayed t)
	(while (and (sit-for 4) lines)
	  (message (substitute-command-keys (car lines)))
	  (setq lines (cdr lines)))))
   (message ""))