all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* NEWBIE: different compile-commands for different fiel types (cc, xml)
@ 2004-10-28 14:04 Johannes Kastl
From: Johannes Kastl @ 2004-10-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,
Im kind of a newbie to emacs, or more to configuration emacs. I have
been using emacs for quite some time, and now I need to setup the
compile-command.
The background is that I am compiling .cc files, and also .xml files
at the moment. And I am proud that I got it working to specify my
own complie-command in the settings. But it is only one, for the
other filetype I have to change it everytime, which is "kind of
uncomfortable". So, is there a way to set the compile-command to
"make whatever" for .cc files and to "make anotherthing" for .xml files?
Adding local variables in xml files dont work for me, since it
doesnt compile afterwards, cos the source code contains "non-xml" text.

Has anybody got an idea how to solve this, or is this just not
possible with my emacs?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes

P.S. I am running emacs on a suse 8.2 linux, emacs is GNU Emacs
21.2.1 (i586-suse-linux).

* Re: NEWBIE: different compile-commands for different fiel types (cc,  xml)
@ 2004-10-28 16:54 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.6438.1099256981.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-10-28 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h v compile-command RET ]
| compile-command's value is "make -k "
|
| Documentation:
| *Last shell command used to do a compilation; default for next
compilation.

| Sometimes it is useful for files to supply local values for this variable.
| You might also use mode hooks to specify it in certain modes, like this:
|
|     (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
|        (lambda ()
| 	 (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
| 		     (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
| 	   (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
| 		(concat "make -k "
| 		        (file-name-sans-extension buffer-file-name))))))
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `compile'.
`----

(add-hook 'cc-mode-hook                 ; or c-mode-hook, or ?
           (lambda ()
             (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command) "make whatever")))

(add-hook 'xml-mode-hook                ; or sgml-mode-hook, or ?
           (lambda ()
             (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command) "make
anotherthing")))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: NEWBIE: different compile-commands for different fiel types (cc, xml)
@ 2004-10-31 21:58 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.6438.1099256981.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-10-31 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Kastl <ojkastl@gmx.de> writes:

> Adding local variables in xml files dont work for me, since it
> doesnt compile afterwards, cos the source code contains "non-xml" text.

Hm?

<!-- Local Variables: -->
<!-- compile-command: "make bla" -->
<!-- End: -->

No non-XML text to be seen here.

Kai

@ 2004-11-07 17:10   ` Johannes Kastl
From: Johannes Kastl @ 2004-11-07 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks for your answers. Especially the comments for xml are really
great. So this problem is solved due to your help.

Thanks very much.

OJ

--
Als Frau Gamasche sie mit zitternder Stimme gefragt hatte, wie man den
Vetter zweiten Grades einer Königin ansprach, antwortete Susanne