all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* man pages in framepop
@ 2004-10-26 18:03 Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2004-10-26 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

I can't find what to customize in order to have man pages show up in a pop-up
frame (i.e. using framepop). I have the feeling I should do it in
special-display-regexps, but am not sure how to specify the regexp. The
format of the man output buffer name is "* Man TOPIC*. A related question is,
does the regexp need to be specified differently depending on whether one
does it directly in .emacs or through the customize interface?

Thanks in advance,
--
Best wishes,
Sebastian

* RE: man pages in framepop
@ 2004-10-26 18:29 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-10-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you using GNU Emacs? What version?

Try (setq pop-up-frames t)

I can't find what to customize in order to have man pages show up in a
pop-up
frame (i.e. using framepop). I have the feeling I should do it in
special-display-regexps, but am not sure how to specify the regexp. The
format of the man output buffer name is "* Man TOPIC*. A related question
is,
does the regexp need to be specified differently depending on whether one
does it directly in .emacs or through the customize interface?

* Re: man pages in framepop
@ 2004-10-26 18:56   ` Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2004-10-26 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 26 October, 2004 13:29 -0500, Drew Adams wrote:
> Are you using GNU Emacs? What version?

Sorry, yes it's GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Debian.

> Try (setq pop-up-frames t)

I'm using framepop.el to put special buffers in a pop-up frame, so I only want
to add the output of M-x manual-entry to be handled by it. This seems to be
doing something else:

pop-up-frames's value is nil

Documentation:
*Non-nil means `display-buffer' should make a separate frame.

* Re: man pages in framepop
@ 2004-10-26 19:41 ` Daniel Mahu
From: Daniel Mahu @ 2004-10-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Luque wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I can't find what to customize in order to have man pages show up in a pop-up
> frame (i.e. using framepop). I have the feeling I should do it in
> special-display-regexps, but am not sure how to specify the regexp. The
> format of the man output buffer name is "* Man TOPIC*. A related question is,
> does the regexp need to be specified differently depending on whether one
> does it directly in .emacs or through the customize interface?
>
> Thanks in advance,

>  '(special-display-regexps (quote ("\\*Man .*\\*")))
> ;; added to the custom-set-variables command in .emacs
>
> or
>
> (setq special-display-regexps (quote ("\\*Man .*\\*")))
>
> or simply
>
> \*Man .*\*
>
> as value for special-display-regexps in customize did the trick in my
> case.
>
> You may need to add a space before M, my buffers look like *Man TOPIC*
>
> --daniel

Perfect! Thank you!

Sebastian
p.s. you might want to forward this to the list, as I'm not subscribed to it
and got your reply by email, not the newsreader.

---

Sorry, I didn't realize that, it seems my email client got a bit confused.

--daniel

* Re: man pages in framepop
@ 2004-10-26 22:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-10-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Luque wrote:
 > I can't find what to customize in order to have man pages show up in
a pop-up
 > frame (i.e. using framepop). I have the feeling I should do it in
 > special-display-regexps, but am not sure how to specify the regexp. The
 > format of the man output buffer name is "* Man TOPIC*. A related
question is,
 > does the regexp need to be specified differently depending on whether one
 > does it directly in .emacs or through the customize interface?

`M-x man' has its own display machinery:

,----[ C-h v Man-notify-method RET ]
| Man-notify-method's value is friendly
|
| Documentation:
| *Selects the behavior when manpage is ready.
| This variable may have one of the following values, where (sf) means
| that the frames are switched, so the manpage is displayed in the frame
| where the man command was called from:
|
| newframe   -- put the manpage in its own frame (see
`Man-frame-parameters')
| pushy      -- make the manpage the current buffer in the current window
| bully      -- make the manpage the current buffer and only window (sf)
| aggressive -- make the manpage the current buffer in the other window (sf)
| friendly   -- display manpage in the other window but don't make
current (sf)
| polite     -- don't display manpage, but prints message and beep when
ready
| quiet      -- like `polite', but don't beep
| meek       -- make no indication that the manpage is ready
|
| Any other value of `Man-notify-method' is equivalent to `meek'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `man'.
`----

You probably want (setq Man-notify-method 'newframe)

--
Kevin Rodgers