all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem
@ 2003-01-29 18:15 Siegfried Heintze
From: Siegfried Heintze @ 2003-01-29 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would really like to use the FTP feature of Emacs to edit this web site
because that FTP feature is wonderful.
For some reason, this web site won't let me access any files in the www
directory using emacs!

It seems to work fine when I use Internet Explorer to drag and drop files
from my local directory to the remote web site, however. And the old
fashioned command prompt seems to work too.

When I position the cursor on the (DIRED display) www line and hit return, I
expect it to give me a directory listing of the contents of that directory.
It does not! Instead it says "no file on this line".

If I use find file, that does not work either, it gets stuck on the www and
says "no such directory". There is clearly a directory there with lots of
stuff in it, though.

Here is the display from DIRED:
 /xyz@www.decisionchannel.com:/:
  01-28-03  03:07PM       <DIR>          cases
  01-16-03  07:37PM       <DIR>          database
  02-09-02  03:19PM       <DIR>          logs
  11-05-02  11:51AM       <DIR>          MSFTPSVC15
  10-11-02  03:18PM       <DIR>          www

* Re: Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem
@ 2003-01-29 19:52 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@heintze.com> writes:

> When I position the cursor on the (DIRED display) www line and hit return, I
> expect it to give me a directory listing of the contents of that directory.
> It does not! Instead it says "no file on this line".
>
> If I use find file, that does not work either, it gets stuck on the www and
> says "no such directory". There is clearly a directory there with lots of
> stuff in it, though.
>
> Here is the display from DIRED:
>  /xyz@www.decisionchannel.com:/:
>   01-28-03  03:07PM       <DIR>          cases
>   01-16-03  07:37PM       <DIR>          database
>   02-09-02  03:19PM       <DIR>          logs
>   11-05-02  11:51AM       <DIR>          MSFTPSVC15
>   10-11-02  03:18PM       <DIR>          www

This appear to be two completely separate problems.  Hm.  But maybe
you can kill two flies with one stroke¹ by frobbing the variables
ange-ftp-dumb-unix-host-regexp and/or ange-ftp-dumb-host-types.

The dired problem comes from the strange directory listing format.
Dired uses the variable dired-move-to-filename-regexp to find the
filename, and that expects the date to be right before the filename.

It's unclear to me where the find-file problem comes from.  That
would have to be investigated further.

¹ I wonder what the English version of this idiom is?
  dict.leo.org...  Ah!  To kill two birds with one stone.  It seems
  the English are somewhat more fond of bigger game :-)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem
@ 2003-01-29 20:35 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-01-29 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Siegfried,

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@heintze.com> writes:
> I would really like to use the FTP feature of Emacs to edit this web site
> because that FTP feature is wonderful.
> For some reason, this web site won't let me access any files in the www
> directory using emacs!

[...]
> Here is the display from DIRED:
>  /xyz@www.decisionchannel.com:/:
>   01-28-03  03:07PM       <DIR>          cases
>   01-16-03  07:37PM       <DIR>          database
>   02-09-02  03:19PM       <DIR>          logs
>   11-05-02  11:51AM       <DIR>          MSFTPSVC15
>   10-11-02  03:18PM       <DIR>          www

Looks like the default output of Microsofts IIS FTP server.  The
easiest would be to ask the admin for that server to set the IIS
option to output Unix-style directory listings.

Hope this helps, benny

* Re: Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem
@ 2003-01-29 23:51 ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-01-29 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

=
[...]

Are you sure that this is not already displaying the contents of
"/xyz@www.decisionchannel.com:/"?  The semi-colon (:) at the end of the
line suggests to me that you're already looking at the directory
listing.  What do you get when you hit return with the cursor on, say,
"cases"?

Just trying to help,
ken

* Re: Wanted: Help isolating FTP problem
@ 2003-01-30  5:06   ` Siegfried Heintze
From: Siegfried Heintze @ 2003-01-30  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I get the same message: no file on this line

@ 2003-01-31  7:17   ` Siegfried Heintze
From: Siegfried Heintze @ 2003-01-31  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks,
 Changing the directy style from NT to UNIX did the trick.