all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Encoding again
@ 2004-10-19  0:40 Soren Kuula
From: Soren Kuula @ 2004-10-19  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

As far as I can see, there is no or little difference between the coding
systems:

emacs-mule
raw-text
no-conversion
binary

-- how can I see if any of them are simply aliases?

-- and would someone know the differences ?

I'm writing about i18n for some people who (regrettably ? -- Something
like Eclipse would have been so much easier) are using Emacs a lot.

Thanks

Soren

* Re: Encoding again
@ 2004-10-19 12:18 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2004-10-19 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Soren Kuula <dongfang-remove_this@remove_this-bitplanet.net> writes:

> As far as I can see [...]

what is your method of seeing?

thi

* Re: Encoding again
@ 2004-10-19 13:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-10-19 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> As far as I can see, there is no or little difference between the
> coding systems:

> emacs-mule
> raw-text
> no-conversion
> binary

binary == no-conversion == raw-text-unix.

raw-text is almost the same except it does end-of-line conversion.

emacs-mule is completely different: reading a file with one of the other
3 encoding will only generate chars between 0 and 255, whereas with
emacs-mule you can get literally any char (it's an encoding loosely
comparable to iso-2022 or to utf-8).

emacs-mule should generally be avoided (it's the internal encoding used
inside Emacs buffers and can change between Emacs versions).