all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* \w does not work in a range
@ 2009-04-10 20:35 Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2009-04-10 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to define a regulair expression like [\w\-]+, but the \w
seems not to work inside the [ and ]. Is this true, or do I need to do
something special?

* Re: \w does not work in a range
@ 2009-04-10 22:39 ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-04-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to define a regulair expression like [\w\-]+, but the \w
> seems not to work inside the [ and ]. Is this true, or do I need to do
> something special?

use [[:word:]\-]+ instead.
see the elisp manual, section character classes 34.3.1.2
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html#Char-Classes

* Re: \w does not work in a range
@ 2009-04-11 10:44   ` Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2009-04-11 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 11, 12:39 am, harven <har...@free.fr> wrote:
> Decebal <CLDWester...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I would like to define a regulair expression like [\w\-]+, but the \w
> > seems not to work inside the [ and ]. Is this true, or do I need to do
> > something special?
>
> use [[:word:]\-]+ instead.
> see the elisp manual, section character classes 34.3.1.2http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html#Char-Cl...

Thanks, I'll do that.