all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
@ 2009-06-25 18:27 Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-06-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I plan to switch from windows to intel mac and Aquamacs and I don't want
use windows under mac - neither in virtual machine nor as dual boot.
Emacs is one of my main application so it is very important for me that
all things are working as usual. Here my questions:

   - can I switch off menubar, toolbar and scrollbar?

   - is the look & feel approximately like GNU Emacs?

   - can I open file without popup dialog - simply with C-x C-f in
     minibuffer?

   - can I suppress all popup dialogs?

   - working M-w, C-w, C-y or must I use C-x, C-c, C-v?

   - can I switch off tabs?

   - working all this nice extension elisp packages from internet without
     any kind of adaptations?

   - what GNU Emacs features do not working in Aquamacs? In "Appendix
     F - Emacs and Mac OS" is written:

     "Emacs built on Mac OS X supports most of its major features except
      display support of PostScript images. The following features of
      Emacs are not supported on Mac OS Classic: unexec (`dump-emacs'),
      asynchronous subprocesses (`start-process'), and networking
      (`open-network-stream'). As a result, packages such as Gnus, GUD,
      and Comint do not work. Synchronous subprocesses (`call-process')
      are supported on non-Carbon build, but specially-crafted external
      programs are needed. Since external programs to handle commands
      such as `print-buffer' and `diff' are not available on Mac OS
      Classic, they are not supported. Non-Carbon build on Mac OS Classic
      does not support some features such as file dialogs, drag-and-drop,
      and Unicode menus."

      Is it still true for Aquamacs?

   - on which inconvenience and discomforts do I have to count? What is
     different to GNU Emacs?

thanks for answers!
regards
Marc