all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Join Multiple Lines
@ 2007-05-29  6:45 Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-05-29  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I join multiple lines into one line using Emacs.

I know the command "join-line" to join the current line with previous; how
to do it for multiple lines?

Can I execute it multiple times for a set of lines. If yes, please let me
know how to do that?

Regards
Ankur Jain

* Re: Join Multiple Lines
       [not found] <mailman.1383.1180430912.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-29  9:50 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <1180527603.726755.118550@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-05-29  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Ankur Jain" <jainankur@gmail.com> writes:
> How can I join multiple lines into one line using Emacs.
>
> I know the command "join-line" to join the current line with previous; how to do it
> for multiple lines?
>
> Can I execute it multiple times for a set of lines. If yes, please let me know how to
> do that?

You can do a search a replace on ^J.

M-x replace-string RET C-q C-j RET SPC RET

will put all the lines after the point on one big line.

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.

* Re: Join Multiple Lines
@ 2007-05-29  9:59 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-29  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.05.2007 um 08:45 schrieb Ankur Jain:

> I know the command "join-line" to join the current line with
> previous; how to do it for multiple lines?

Replace the line endings with a space: M-x replace-string RET C-q C-j
RET SPC RET

--
Greetings

   Pete

The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for
«entrepreneur».                              - George W. Bush

* Re: Join Multiple Lines
@ 2007-05-29 20:26 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-05-29 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Ankur> I know the command "join-line" to join the current line
    Ankur> with previous; how to do it for multiple lines?

Another option is to set your fill column to a large value, for
example

        M-1-0-0-0-0-0 C-x f

Then mark the lines and do M-x fill-region

--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times

* Re: Join Multiple Lines
       [not found] ` <1180527603.726755.118550@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>
@ 2007-05-31  4:51   ` Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-05-31  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi weber,

I pasted this code in my .emacs and restarted Emacs. I got the following
error :

Symbol's value as variable is void: On

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause of the error in
your initialization file and remove it.  Start Emacs with the `--debug-init'
option to view a complete error backtrace

Thanks
Ankur

--
Regards
Ankur Jain

http://ankurjain.org

* Re: Join Multiple Lines
@ 2007-05-31  4:55     ` Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-05-31  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I apologize....I pasted wrongly...it's working perfectly....great feature...

can you try to get this function available by default in future emacs
version?

Regards
Ankur Jain

--