all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: sokobania.01@gmail.com
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to localise emacs to french ?
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:14:54 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Le mercredi 22 octobre 2014 21:30:46 UTC+2, geli...@gmail.com a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I found french-utf8.pl script to localise emacs menu items to french.

Hmmm I doubt this file will localize any emacs menus...

It seems dedicated to Oddmuse.

It contains a list a pairs of sentences (english and french).
But I don't recognize any standard emacs menu item.

> But I fail to load it. To do so I add this lines into .emacs file :
> ;; load the packaged named xyz.
> (load-library "french-utf8.pl")

> Is .pl files sames as .el scripts ? Do I need to modify the .emacs file ?

This file does not contain any emacs-lisp instruction.
It is NOT an emacs package to be loaded with "load-library".

It is a perl program, to be interpreted by a perl interpret.

It contains a call to the function AddModuleDescription
which seems to be an Oddmuse function
as described in http://oddmuse.org/wiki/Modules

So, sorry, you are on a wrong path...

I don't know how to localize emacs in french.
I've never seen an emacs localized in french.
That would be a _lot_ of work, since you may have strings in
- C data
- C code
- lisp data
- lisp code