all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-25 16:42 Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-25 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use   emacs -nw  and see a couple of problems

* in tex mode, if I type   $\it identifiername$   it doesn't recognise
the second $ as closing the scope of \it ... and wants to underline
everything that follows ... i haven't found how to turn this off

* in the old days, it used the  'angry primary colors'  color scheme, which
was great for someone with poor sight like me, ... nowadays pale pastel
schemes are the default ... how can I get 'angry primary colors' back?

richard.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-26 13:12 ` Mario Castelán Castro
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-08-26 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 25/08/17 11:42, Richard Banach wrote:
> * in tex mode, if I type   $\it identifiername$   it doesn't recognise
> the second $ as closing the scope of \it ... and wants to underline
> everything that follows ... i haven't found how to turn this off

Based on your description, this seems like a bug. I recommend opening a
bug report.

> * in the old days, it used the  'angry primary colors'  color scheme, which
> was great for someone with poor sight like me, ... nowadays pale pastel
> schemes are the default ... how can I get 'angry primary colors' back?

Try M-x “customize-themes”.

I have never seen “pale pastel” colors by default. What version of Emacs
do you use?

--
Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 13:04   ` Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-29 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marioxcc.MT, help-gnu-emacs

hi Mario,

thanks for the reply

| On 25/08/17 11:42, Richard Banach wrote:
| > * in tex mode, if I type   $\it identifiername$   it doesn't recognise
| > the second $ as closing the scope of \it ... and wants to underline
| > everything that follows ... i haven't found how to turn this off
|
| Based on your description, this seems like a bug. I recommend opening a
| bug report.

ok ... i just mailed it in to  bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org ... hope that
will do the trick

| > * in the old days, it used the  'angry primary colors'  color scheme, which
| > was great for someone with poor sight like me, ... nowadays pale pastel
| > schemes are the default ... how can I get 'angry primary colors' back?
|
| Try M-x "customize-themes"

i tried playing with that

a) a couple of themes i tried looked pretty pale to me

b) the customization only took effect in emacs running in its own
window ...  in  emacs -nw  started in an xterm, the colours are
different (for the same latex file), the customizations have no effect,
and the keyword colour mapping (for latex keywords) is coming from some
other place, which i'd like to be able to edit if possible

| I have never seen "pale pastel" colors by default. What version of Emacs
| do you use?

it says

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13)
 of 2017-03-03 on c1bm.rdu2.centos.org

thanks once more

richard.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 13:14     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2017-08-29 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Banach; +Cc: marioxcc.MT, emacs

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Richard Banach <
richard.banach@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> | > * in the old days, it used the  'angry primary colors'  color scheme,
> which
> | > was great for someone with poor sight like me, ... nowadays pale pastel
> | > schemes are the default ... how can I get 'angry primary colors' back?
> |
> | Try M-x "customize-themes"
>
> i tried playing with that
>
> a) a couple of themes i tried looked pretty pale to me
>
> b) the customization only took effect in emacs running in its own
> window ...  in  emacs -nw  started in an xterm, the colours are
> different (for the same latex file), the customizations have no effect,
> and the keyword colour mapping (for latex keywords) is coming from some
> other place, which i'd like to be able to edit if possible
>
> | I have never seen "pale pastel" colors by default. What version of Emacs
> | do you use?
>
> it says
>
> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13)
>  of 2017-03-03 on c1bm.rdu2.centos.org

`emacs -nw` is subject to the TERM settings of the terminal it's running
in. Depending on your distro that may be an 8 or 256 color variant. I'm
suspicious based on your descriptions that your TERM setting may have
changed recently. The 256 color default them of emacs is much more subtle
than the 8 color theme.

You can see what your TERM setting is by `echo $TERM` and you can see how
many colors emacs thinks it can display by `M-x list-colors-display`.

FWIW, some terminals allow you to change the TERM setting to something else
if you'd prefer the 8 color variant.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 13:36       ` Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-29 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tim.visher, richard.banach; +Cc: marioxcc.MT, help-gnu-emacs

hi Tim,

| `emacs -nw` is subject to the TERM settings of the terminal it's running
| in. Depending on your distro that may be an 8 or 256 color variant. I'm
| suspicious based on your descriptions that your TERM setting may have
| changed recently.

ok yes ......... but it wasn't that recent ... i've only just got round
to trying to fix it

| The 256 color default them of emacs is much more subtle
| than the 8 color theme.

i'm sure ... but with imperfect eyesight 'crude and brutal' works
much better than 'subtle' for me :-)

| You can see what your TERM setting is by `echo $TERM` and you can see how
| many colors emacs thinks it can display by `M-x list-colors-display`.

echo $TERM ... straightforwardly gives  'xterm'

list-colors-display gives:

black                                            #000000
red                                              #cd0000
green                                            #00cd00
yellow                                           #cdcd00
blue                                             #0000ee
magenta                                          #cd00cd
cyan                                             #00cdcd
white                                            #e5e5e5

in effect, if i could change the 'cd's to 'ff's in the above (as picked
up by the keyword bindings for latex), i'd most likely be quite happy .....
is there a way of achieving that in emacs itself? ... other TERMs are
fine with the colours as is

| FWIW, some terminals allow you to change the TERM setting to something else
| if you'd prefer the 8 color variant.

thanks

richard.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 13:43         ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2017-08-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Banach; +Cc: marioxcc.MT, emacs

TERM=xterm should already be getting you the 8 color default theme. So it
sounds like the default color theme may have actually changed.
Unfortunately I'm not equipped to answer that.

I'll also say that many terminal emulators provide the ability to theme
them. So it may be that your terminal emulator has a 'high contrast' theme
of some sort that increases the contrast between the colors which emacs
will then inherit.

Good luck!

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Richard Banach <
richard.banach@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> hi Tim,
>
> | `emacs -nw` is subject to the TERM settings of the terminal it's running
> | in. Depending on your distro that may be an 8 or 256 color variant. I'm
> | suspicious based on your descriptions that your TERM setting may have
> | changed recently.
>
> ok yes ......... but it wasn't that recent ... i've only just got round
> to trying to fix it
>
> | The 256 color default them of emacs is much more subtle
> | than the 8 color theme.
>
> i'm sure ... but with imperfect eyesight 'crude and brutal' works
> much better than 'subtle' for me :-)
>
> | You can see what your TERM setting is by `echo $TERM` and you can see how
> | many colors emacs thinks it can display by `M-x list-colors-display`.
>
> echo $TERM ... straightforwardly gives  'xterm'
>
> list-colors-display gives:
>
> black                                            #000000
> red                                              #cd0000
> green                                            #00cd00
> yellow                                           #cdcd00
> blue                                             #0000ee
> magenta                                          #cd00cd
> cyan                                             #00cdcd
> white                                            #e5e5e5
>
> in effect, if i could change the 'cd's to 'ff's in the above (as picked
> up by the keyword bindings for latex), i'd most likely be quite happy .....
> is there a way of achieving that in emacs itself? ... other TERMs are
> fine with the colours as is
>
> | FWIW, some terminals allow you to change the TERM setting to something
> else
> | if you'd prefer the 8 color variant.
>
> thanks
>
> richard.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 13:53           ` Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tim.visher, richard.banach; +Cc: marioxcc.MT, help-gnu-emacs

hi Tim,

| TERM=xterm should already be getting you the 8 color default theme. So it
| sounds like the default color theme may have actually changed.
| Unfortunately I'm not equipped to answer that.
|
| I'll also say that many terminal emulators provide the ability to theme
| them. So it may be that your terminal emulator has a 'high contrast' theme
| of some sort that increases the contrast between the colors which emacs
| will then inherit.
|
| Good luck!

thanks ... i'll probe the xterm capabilities

cheers,

richard.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 16:38     ` Mario Castelán Castro
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-08-29 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 29/08/17 08:04, Richard Banach wrote:

> b) the customization only took effect in emacs running in its own
> window ...  in  emacs -nw  started in an xterm, the colours are
> different (for the same latex file), the customizations have no effect,
> and the keyword colour mapping (for latex keywords) is coming from some
> other place, which i'd like to be able to edit if possible

There ought to be a better way to customize the colors for LaTeX mode,
but the only thing I can suggest is to move point to the text whose
color you want to customize and then do M-x “customize-face”. If you
press ENTER without writing anything in the minibuffer, it will
customize the face at point.

> | I have never seen "pale pastel" colors by default. What version of Emacs
> | do you use?
>
> it says
>
> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13)
>  of 2017-03-03 on c1bm.rdu2.centos.org

Thanks you. I use Emacs 24.5 as shipped in Debian 9. I have attached a
screenshot of “emacs -q” (because otherwise I have custom colors). Does
it look like this to you as well?

-----
Maybe it is just that your terminal emulator is mapping the 8 color
palette to pastel colors, as another user said.

--
Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

[-- Attachment #1.2: emacs.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 146064 bytes --]

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 17:12       ` Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-29 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marioxcc.MT, help-gnu-emacs

Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> wrote:

| On 29/08/17 08:04, Richard Banach wrote:
|
| > b) the customization only took effect in emacs running in its own
| > window ...  in  emacs -nw  started in an xterm, the colours are
| > different (for the same latex file), the customizations have no effect,
| > and the keyword colour mapping (for latex keywords) is coming from some
| > other place, which i'd like to be able to edit if possible
|
| There ought to be a better way to customize the colors for LaTeX mode,
| but the only thing I can suggest is to move point to the text whose
| color you want to customize and then do M-x “customize-face”. If you
| press ENTER without writing anything in the minibuffer, it will
| customize the face at point.
|
| > | I have never seen "pale pastel" colors by default. What version of Emacs
| > | do you use?
| >
| > it says
| >
| > GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13)
| >  of 2017-03-03 on c1bm.rdu2.centos.org
|
| Thanks you. I use Emacs 24.5 as shipped in Debian 9. I have attached a
| screenshot of “emacs -q” (because otherwise I have custom colors). Does
| it look like this to you as well?
|
| -----
| Maybe it is just that your terminal emulator is mapping the 8 color
| palette to pastel colors, as another user said.
|
| --
| Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
| https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

hi,

it's not quite like yours ... i attach two screenshots

1) with proper menu bar ... this is emacs running in its own window
with a color scheme it got from somewhere ... pale and cute but less
helpful for me

2) with pretend black menu bar ... and ugly underlining ... this is emacs -nw
running in an xterm ... as you mentioned, hacking the xterm color scheme
might be the way to go, but i haven't tried it yet ... turing up the heat
on those primary colors is what i'm aiming for :-)

cheers,

richard.

[-- Attachment #2: E-nw.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 45619 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: E-not-nw.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 53095 bytes --]

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-29 19:06         ` Mario Castelán Castro
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-08-29 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 29/08/17 12:12, Richard Banach wrote:
> hi,
>
> it's not quite like yours ... i attach two screenshots
>
> 1) with proper menu bar ... this is emacs running in its own window
> with a color scheme it got from somewhere ... pale and cute but less
> helpful for me
>
> 2) with pretend black menu bar ... and ugly underlining ... this is emacs -nw
> running in an xterm ... as you mentioned, hacking the xterm color scheme
> might be the way to go, but i haven't tried it yet ... turing up the heat
> on those primary colors is what i'm aiming for :-)

I see. Thanks you for sharing the screenshots. :)

--

@ 2017-08-30 13:49           ` Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marioxcc.MT, help-gnu-emacs

Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> wrote:

| On 29/08/17 12:12, Richard Banach wrote:
| > hi,
| >
| > it's not quite like yours ... i attach two screenshots
| >
| > 1) with proper menu bar ... this is emacs running in its own window
| > with a color scheme it got from somewhere ... pale and cute but less
| > helpful for me
| >
| > 2) with pretend black menu bar ... and ugly underlining ... this is emacs -nw
| > running in an xterm ... as you mentioned, hacking the xterm color scheme
| > might be the way to go, but i haven't tried it yet ... turing up the heat
| > on those primary colors is what i'm aiming for :-)
|
| I see. Thanks you for sharing the screenshots. :)
|
| --
| Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
| https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan

hi,

for info .........

| > .... hacking the xterm color scheme
| > might be the way to go, but i haven't tried it yet

i added

!black
xterm*color0: #000000
xterm*color8: #000000
!red
xterm*color1: #7F0000
xterm*color9: #FF0000
!green
xterm*color2: #007F00
xterm*color10: #00FF00
!yellow
xterm*color3: #7F7F00
xterm*color11: #FFFF00
!blue
xterm*color4: #00007F
xterm*color12: #0000FF
!magenta
xterm*color5: #7F007F
xterm*color13: #FF00FF
!cyan
xterm*color6: #007F7F
xterm*color14: #00FFFF
!white
xterm*color7: #7F7F7F
xterm*color15: #FFFFFF

to my .Xresources ... i attach a screenshot of the same area .......

much more readable now (much unneeded underlining now blue) though
the colours are quite different

interestingly, the NUMERICAL output of M-x list-colors-display
is the same, though the displayed hues look different on screen ;-/

FINAL QN: can you switch off underlining (of anything and everything)
in emacs? ... that would fix the blue issue above, and would be great
as far as i am concerned

cheers,

richard.

[-- Attachment #2: E-new-nw.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 44889 bytes --]

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-30 14:16             ` Mario Castelán Castro
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-08-30 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30/08/17 08:49, Richard Banach wrote:
> FINAL QN: can you switch off underlining (of anything and everything)
> in emacs? ... that would fix the blue issue above, and would be great
> as far as i am concerned

Unfortunately, I do *not* know how to disable *all* underlining, but it
seems that in your case, moving the point to the underlined text and
then disabling underlining for the face at point with M-x
“customize-face” (as previously mentioned) will suffice.

--

@ 2017-08-30 14:51               ` Richard Banach
From: Richard Banach @ 2017-08-30 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marioxcc.MT, help-gnu-emacs

Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> wrote:

| On 30/08/17 08:49, Richard Banach wrote:
| > FINAL QN: can you switch off underlining (of anything and everything)
| > in emacs? ... that would fix the blue issue above, and would be great
| > as far as i am concerned
|
| Unfortunately, I do *not* know how to disable *all* underlining, but it
| seems that in your case, moving the point to the underlined text and
| then disabling underlining for the face at point with M-x
| “customize-face” (as previously mentioned) will suffice.

hi,

i tried this but didn't immediately see any effect (because of the -nw)
... but after i restarted my system, and emacs re-read .emacs.el i saw
the changes ... i think i know how to fiddle with it now

thanks ... you've been a real help :-)

richard.

* Re: emacs -nw niggles
@ 2017-08-30 14:53                 ` Mario Castelán Castro
From: Mario Castelán Castro @ 2017-08-30 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30/08/17 09:51, Richard Banach wrote:
> hi,
>
> i tried this but didn't immediately see any effect (because of the -nw)
> ... but after i restarted my system, and emacs re-read .emacs.el i saw
> the changes ... i think i know how to fiddle with it now
>
> thanks ... you've been a real help :-)

I'm glad that my lowly advice was of some use. I am very ignorant in use
of GNU/Emacs. A competent Emacs user (not me) can tell you how to
disable underlining Emacs-wide.

Regards.

P.S.: I recommend replying to the list only (instead of the author and
the list).  :)

--

@ 2017-08-30 15:33             ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2017-08-30 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Banach; +Cc: emacs

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Richard Banach <
richard.banach@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> wrote:
> interestingly, the NUMERICAL output of M-x list-colors-display
> is the same, though the displayed hues look different on screen ;-/

When you edit the color scheme of the Terminal Emulator the underlying
software still believes it is outputting the same hue, but the emulator
displays it differently.