all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using a different init file/directory?
@ 2014-11-23  2:32 Yaron Greenwald
From: Yaron Greenwald @ 2014-11-23  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Most other programs have a way of telling them to use a different init file:
'mutt -F <>', 'vi -i <>', etc.

But I can't figure out how to do that in emacs. Is there a why? How/why not?

Thanks.

* RE: Using a different init file/directory?
@ 2014-11-23  3:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-11-23  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron Greenwald, help-gnu-emacs

> Most other programs have a way of telling them to use a different
> init file: 'mutt -F <>', 'vi -i <>', etc.
>
> But I can't figure out how to do that in emacs. Is there a why?
> How/why not?

Did you ask Emacs?  Ask Emacs first.

`C-h r i command-line TAB RET' takes you to node `Emacs Invocation'.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emacs-Invocation.html

Choosing `Initial Options' there takes you to a node that tells
you how to not load your normal init file (`-q').  And choosing
`Action Arguments' takes you to a node that tells you how to
load an arbitrary file (`-l').