all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Creating a new file in Emacs 23 in WINXP
@ 2010-03-02  6:25 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-03-02  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This has got to have an obvious answer, but I can't work it out.

 If I visit a new file to create a new file, I get a standard windows
explorer type dialog box that allows me to navigate to the directory
where I want to create the new file.

However, when I type in the file name for my new file, I get an error
telling me that the file cannot be found.  Which of course it cant be,
because I haven't created it yet. How do I get around this.  A search
on new file visit new file etc just yields instructions to do what I
am already trying to do.

I didn't have this problem with Emacs 22, and although it works
slightly differently I don't have this problem with Emace 23 on
Ubuntu.

I would be very grateful, if someone could point out the obvious to me.

Graham

* RE: Creating a new file in Emacs 23 in WINXP
@ 2010-03-02 14:39 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-02 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Graham Smith', help-gnu-emacs

>  If I visit a new file to create a new file, I get a standard windows
> explorer type dialog box that allows me to navigate to the directory
> where I want to create the new file.
>
> However, when I type in the file name for my new file, I get an error
> telling me that the file cannot be found.  Which of course it cant be,
> because I haven't created it yet. How do I get around this.  A search
> on new file visit new file etc just yields instructions to do what I
> am already trying to do.
>
> I didn't have this problem with Emacs 22, and although it works
> slightly differently I don't have this problem with Emace 23 on
> Ubuntu.

Sounds like bug #3969, which has been fixed.

* Re: Creating a new file in Emacs 23 in WINXP
@ 2010-03-02 16:27   ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2010-03-02 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew

> Sounds like bug #3969, which has been fixed.

Yes it  does sound like it. This is Vincent Goulet's distribution so I
wonder if he is using a version from before the bug fix.

Thanks,

Graham