Oh dear, some how managed to hit send instead of discard :-( What I was thinking of saying was that I have very crudely used a similar approach to look at expert views on environmental impacts, but only with software that counted the occurance of specific terms or words. I have no experience of proper qualitative analytical tools. I am also just beginning to use Emacs (in Windows) and still need a lot of hand holding, but certainly this is of interest to me as an Emacs mode. Graham On 13/02/07, Graham Smith wrote: > > Jim, > > Just to add some support for this from a wider range > > On 13/02/07, Jim Ottaway wrote: > > > > On 11 Feb 2007, sven bretfeld wrote: > > > > > Dear Everybody > > > > > > I have quite a special question, inspired by the very interesting > > > recent thread which was inaccurately called "An extremely dumb > > > curiosity question". > > > > > > An editor as powerful as Emacs should have the ability to function as > > > a QDA (Qualitative Data Analysis) tool. Maybe some of you have worked > > > with software like Atlas.ti which is only available for Windows (and > > > very expensive) or GTAMSAnalyzer which runs on GNU/Linux via > > > GNUStep. You know what I'm talking about. > > > > I wrote something for my PhD research that was based on NUD.IST. It does > > pretty much all that NUD.IST does: construction of hiearchical indexing > > trees, coding of text units within a document, memos, searches, etc. > > > > I found it very useful to have the QDA program integrated into Emacs. > > Unfortunately QDA, as I named it, has a very clunky user interface, and > > not very much documentation. > > > > Also, I think that some things like hypertext linking between documents > > and memos could be done better using something like muse. > > > > Nevertheless, it worked well enough for me to use it effectively for my > > thesis. Now I have finished the PhD I am hoping to find some time to > > make it work better. Especially since some others have expressed > > interest in an Emacs QDA program [I haven't previously found many > > sociologists interested in using anything other than NVivo, Atlas.Ti, > > etc]. > > > > If you want to have a look, you can get it at > > http://www.jeho.org/qda.tar.gz. > > > > Regards, > > > > -- > > Jim Ottaway > > > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > help-gnu-emacs mailing list > > help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org > > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-gnu-emacs > > > >