Just to say thanks to everyone for their help. Installed the precompliled windows binary for aspell, plus the english dictionary added (setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell") to .emacs and added the path to the aspell bin directory as an environmental variable. Its all working now ;-) Graham On 15/01/07, Graham Smith wrote: > > Can someone confirm for me that I need to install Cygwin to get spell > checking on Emacs running in Windows. > > Assuming I do, from reading the install help, it seems that you can choose > which packages to download, should I just download everything, on the > assumption I may eventually need Cygwin for other things. > > Thanks, > > Graham >