all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs opening to files when asked to open one
@ 2009-04-16 17:08 Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-04-16 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

Under MacOS (NS) I added an alias to open files directly on the shell:

[ambs@rachmaninoff VisitasDI]$ alias emacs
alias emacs='/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs'

This way I can use:
   $emacs foo &

and it works.

But, if I do
  $ emacs public_html/index.html &
(in fact, any file that is not in current dir)
emacs will open it, but also an empt index.html, not sure where.

Any hint on how to solve?
Would this be a bug (weird , but possible), or is there any better way
to alias an emacs command?

Thank you
Alberto

--
Alberto Simões

* Re: Emacs opening to files when asked to open one
       [not found] <mailman.5469.1239901737.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-16 20:15 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2009-04-16 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com>:

> Under MacOS (NS) I added an alias to open files directly on the shell:
>
> [ambs@rachmaninoff VisitasDI]$ alias emacs
> alias emacs='/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs'
>
> or is there any better way to alias an emacs command?

Try this instead:  open -a emacs filename

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Emacs opening to files when asked to open one
@ 2009-04-16 23:26   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2009-04-16 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <pcoocuwwe2f.fsf@math.ntnu.no>,
 Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> wrote:

> + Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com>:
>
> > Under MacOS (NS) I added an alias to open files directly on the shell:
> >
> > [ambs@rachmaninoff VisitasDI]$ alias emacs
> > alias emacs='/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs'
> >
> > or is there any better way to alias an emacs command?
>
> Try this instead:  open -a emacs filename

Or use /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/macOS/bin/emacsclient

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Emacs opening to files when asked to open one
@ 2009-04-17  9:14 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-17  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.04.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> alias emacs='/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs'
>
> This way I can use:
>    $emacs foo &

This is inappropriate. Every time you're launching a new instance of
Emacs.app. Better start the server and use emacsclient to open files!

--
Greetings

   Pete

No project was ever completed on time and within budget.
				– Cheops Law

* Re: Emacs opening to files when asked to open one
@ 2009-04-17 20:04   ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-04-17 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2009/4/17 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>:

> Am 16.04.2009 um 19:08 schrieb Alberto Simões:
>
>> alias emacs='/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs'
>>
>> This way I can use:
>>   $emacs foo &
>
> This is inappropriate. Every time you're launching a new instance of
> Emacs.app. Better start the server and use emacsclient to open files!

That seems interesting. How is the server started?

Thank you, and sorry for my ignorance :)
--

@ 2009-04-17 21:32     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-17 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2009 um 22:04 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> That seems interesting. How is the server started?

(server-start) in ~/.emacs for example ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?

* Re: Emacs opening to files when asked to open one
@ 2009-04-18 14:48       ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-04-18 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

2009/4/17 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>:

> Am 17.04.2009 um 22:04 schrieb Alberto Simões:
>
>> That seems interesting. How is the server started?
>
> (server-start) in ~/.emacs for example ...

Well, if the server is not running I need to start emacs first.
Couldn't emacsclient start it automatically if it isn't running?

Cheers

--

@ 2009-04-18 15:24         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.04.2009 um 16:48 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> Couldn't emacsclient start it automatically if it isn't running?

You can check whether it works better when you launch Emacs.app as a
daemon, maybe as a Mac OS X StartupItem. (I'm not that experienced
with this daemonic mode of operation.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

You can learn many things from children.  How much patience you have,
for instance.
				– Franklin P. Jones