all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Binding C-i without losing <tab> functionality
@ 2008-10-24  0:56 Joseph Peterson
       [not found] ` <mailman.1986.1224837322.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joseph Peterson @ 2008-10-24  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I'm trying to bind C-i to isearch-forward, but I'm having some problems.

It doesn't change anything when I do this or variations of this:
  (global-set-key [?\C-i] 'isearch-forward)

Sometimes it seems like it will work, but it rebinds the tab key, too
(I may be remembering when I bound TAB, though...)

If I bind both <tab> and C-i, then it seems that I can rebind C-i to be
different than <tab>. Like this:
  (global-set-key [tab] 'c-indent-command)
  (global-set-key [?\C-i] 'isearch-forward)

Then it seems to work, but then I lose all the mode-specific bindings.
(Most annoying is the loss of mini-buffer completion). How do I bind
C-i without affecting the Tab key?

Thanks all,
-JEEP
Joe Peterson