all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs to Outlook
@ 2006-10-09 16:45 Artist  google
From: Artist  google @ 2006-10-09 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
 I like to update tasks in Microsoft Outlook via emacs.
 Is it available or possible?
 Can it be possible via other programming language?

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs to Outlook
@ 2006-10-10  1:35 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-10-10  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Artist google" <aartist@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>  I like to update tasks in Microsoft Outlook via emacs.
>  Is it available or possible?
>  Can it be possible via other programming language?
>
> Thanks.

The data in most components of OL can be exported as CSV and TSV files.
Since these are ordinary text files, they could be inserted into the emacs
diary file and massaged there. This strategy has the advantage that, after
a while, you will abandon OL.

Ed.

* Re: Emacs to Outlook
@ 2006-10-10  2:11   ` Artist  google
From: Artist  google @ 2006-10-10  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aha, Thanks,..

 but really, I like them to co-exist. Instead of exporting, I like to
interface it differently.

B. T. Raven wrote:
> "Artist google" <aartist@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >  I like to update tasks in Microsoft Outlook via emacs.
> >  Is it available or possible?
> >  Can it be possible via other programming language?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> The data in most components of OL can be exported as CSV and TSV files.
> Since these are ordinary text files, they could be inserted into the emacs
> diary file and massaged there. This strategy has the advantage that, after
> a while, you will abandon OL.
>
> Ed.

* Re: Emacs to Outlook
@ 2006-10-10 12:08     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-10-10 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Aha, Thanks,..
>
>  but really, I like them to co-exist. Instead of exporting, I like to
> interface it differently.

Then you will have to start a Sig and convince 10 or 20 million other
people to join. Remember that MS didn't want to bother supporting
languages that had "only" a million speakers.
Another option, since Emacs will load an arbitrary binary file, is work
directly on whatever format msw stores the Tasks data in. This would take
some doing. I can't imagine a scenario where it would be worth the
trouble.

> B. T. Raven wrote:
> > "Artist google" <aartist@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >  I like to update tasks in Microsoft Outlook via emacs.
> > >  Is it available or possible?
> > >  Can it be possible via other programming language?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > The data in most components of OL can be exported as CSV and TSV
files.
> > Since these are ordinary text files, they could be inserted into the
emacs
> > diary file and massaged there. This strategy has the advantage that,
after
> > a while, you will abandon OL.
> >
> > Ed.

* Re: Emacs to Outlook
@ 2006-10-17  7:35 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-10-17  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Artist  google" <aartist@gmail.com> writes:

>  I like to update tasks in Microsoft Outlook via emacs.  Is it
>  available or possible?  Can it be possible via other programming
>  language?

Check out my little hack w32-send-mapi.el for one way to access MS
stuff. Basically I generate VB-script code and use wscript or cscript
to run it. With VB-script you should be able to access most of
Outlook's objects and methods.