all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + ftp
@ 2010-02-06 16:20 Martin
From: Martin @ 2010-02-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I know that when you open a remote file (ftp) with using tramp, it will
be updated remotely whenever you press C-x C-s. The problem is that I
connect to my ftp account using konqueror (Slackware64 13 + emacs 23.1),
and right-click on a file (open with + emacs). It opens a file, but
temporarily it stores it locally. When I modify a file and save changes
nothing happens, the file doesn't get updated remotely. I need to close
emacs (C-x C-c) and only then it asks me to upload the file.
I'd like it to work as it does in Kate, ie. whenever I press Ctr+s it
saves the file and uploads any changes on the fly. I know tramp does it
as well, but I'd have to open emacs first and open a remote file from
within emacs. That's not really convenient for me. I work with konqueror
(have a lot of remote bookmarks there) and open files by right-clicking
on a file and choosing emacs as a program to open with.

I hope that makes sense.

thanks in advance
--
regards

Martin

* Re: emacs + ftp
@ 2010-02-07 11:27 ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-02-07 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <xtd8865@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I know that when you open a remote file (ftp) with using tramp, it will
> be updated remotely whenever you press C-x C-s. The problem is that I
> connect to my ftp account using konqueror (Slackware64 13 + emacs 23.1),
> and right-click on a file (open with + emacs). It opens a file, but
> temporarily it stores it locally. When I modify a file and save changes
> nothing happens, the file doesn't get updated remotely. I need to close
> emacs (C-x C-c) and only then it asks me to upload the file.
> I'd like it to work as it does in Kate, ie. whenever I press Ctr+s it
> saves the file and uploads any changes on the fly. I know tramp does it
> as well, but I'd have to open emacs first and open a remote file from
> within emacs. That's not really convenient for me. I work with konqueror
> (have a lot of remote bookmarks there) and open files by right-clicking
> on a file and choosing emacs as a program to open with.
>
> I hope that makes sense.
>
> thanks in advance
Hi,
not exactly answering your question but you can have remote bookmarks
inside emacs as well so no need to use konqueror at all, sorry if this
isnt exactly what you want but it can solve your problem.

* Re: emacs + ftp
@ 2010-02-07 17:19 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-02-07 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <xtd8865@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Martin,

> I know that when you open a remote file (ftp) with using tramp, it
> will be updated remotely whenever you press C-x C-s.  The problem is
> that I connect to my ftp account using konqueror (Slackware64 13 +
> emacs 23.1), and right-click on a file (open with + emacs). It opens a
> file, but temporarily it stores it locally.

I think konqueror stores that file somewhere in your local /tmp, and it
uploads it as soon as the process (emacs in your case) has finished.  So
to emacs it looks like a usual local file, and I guess there's nothing
you can can do (except not using the konqueror indirection).

It may work with kate, because that may guess from the filename (or
something else) that it's a copy of a remote file, and signal some
upload request to konqueror...

What you could do was mounting the ftp directory locally.  Most probably
konqueror (or some other KDE thing) can do that...  If not, there's
pretty sure some FUSE plugin.

Bye,
Tassilo