all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Another rookie question dired and deleting files
@ 2006-03-06 12:50 billy
From: billy @ 2006-03-06 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ive looked through my Emacs handbook and found where I can mark files
for deletion.
Question now is how to get it to actually delete them.
I used 'd' to mark them and I know 'D' will delete a file immediately.

* Re: Another rookie question dired and deleting files
@ 2006-03-06 13:11 ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2006-03-06 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> Ive looked through my Emacs handbook and found where I can mark files
> for deletion.  Question now is how to get it to actually delete them.
> I used 'd' to mark them and I know 'D' will delete a file immediately.

IIRC, 'd' marks files for deletion, but does not actually delete them.
'x' performs the action.  think of it as x-ecute.

For more info on dired, in a very concise form, while in a dired buffer
type C-h m.  Think of this as help for mode.  It works in all buffers
and will show you the active commands.  Switch to the help buffer and
use C-s to search for a word that you think will get you the info you
need.

rdc

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Q:	Why did the chicken cross the road?
A:	To see his friend Gregory peck.

Q:	Why did the chicken cross the playground?
A:	To get to the other slide.

* Re: Another rookie question dired and deleting files
@ 2006-03-06 23:36 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-06 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2006 um 13:50 schrieb billy:

> Ive looked through my Emacs handbook and found where I can mark files
> for deletion.
> Question now is how to get it to actually delete them.
> I used 'd' to mark them and I know 'D' will delete a file immediately.

After d use x.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
-- Elbert Hubbard