all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* kill ring and system clipboard
@ 2010-03-29 22:09 Mark Stoelinga
From: Mark Stoelinga @ 2010-03-29 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I know there are many posts on this topic on various forums, and lots of advice, but I've read and tried all of it with no success.

Basically, I want my emacs kill-ring contents to be available in my system clipboard on my mac, but I can't get it to work.

My setup:

I have a MacBook laptop, running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.2).  I use a mac terminal to ssh into a Linux cluster that is running Gnu Linux (not sure of the version).  I'm also running the XQuartz X11 emulator on my MacBook.  When in the terminal, loogged into the Linux cluster, I run "emacs" (which is Gnus Emacs version 21.3.1).  This successfully opens emacs in an X11 window (via XQuartz) on my mac desktop.  This all works splendidly.  And I generally can get anything from any mac application or other X application INTO my Emacs kill ring through either a mac copy (Command-v) or a X11 middle-mouse copy.

My problem:

However, what I have never been able to do is get the emacs kill ring contents to go into my mac system clipboard.  The closest I've managed to come is issuing the emacs command "META-X set-variable RET x-select-enable-clipboard RET t".  This seems to sync up the kill ring contents with the system clipboard, BUT now I can no longer put anything new into the kill ring from within emacs.  If I kill a line, the line gets deleted but whatever was in the kill ring before remains in it.  I've also tried, instead, using the emacs command "clipboard-kill-ring-save", but this does not have the desired effect of forcing the kill ring contents into the system clipboard.  The mac system clipboard is uneffected.

Any new advice would be very appreciated!

Mark

* Re: kill ring and system clipboard
@ 2010-03-30  7:23 ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2010-03-30  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:09:16PM -0700, Mark Stoelinga wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I know there are many posts on this topic on various forums, and lots of advice, but I've read and tried all of it with no success.
>
>Basically, I want my emacs kill-ring contents to be available in my system clipboard on my mac, but I can't get it to work.
>
>My setup:
>
>I have a MacBook laptop, running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.2).  I use a mac terminal to ssh into a Linux cluster that is running Gnu Linux (not sure of the version).  I'm also running the XQuartz X11 emulator on my MacBook.  When in the terminal, loogged into the Linux cluster, I run "emacs" (which is Gnus Emacs version 21.3.1).  This successfully opens emacs in an X11 window (via XQuartz) on my mac desktop.  This all works splendidly.  And I generally can get anything from any mac application or other X application INTO my Emacs kill ring through either a mac copy (Command-v) or a X11 middle-mouse copy.
>
>My problem:
>
>However, what I have never been able to do is get the emacs kill ring contents to go into my mac system clipboard.  The closest I've managed to come is issuing the emacs command "META-X set-variable RET x-select-enable-clipboard RET t".  This seems to sync up the kill ring contents with the system clipboard, BUT now I can no longer put anything new into the kill ring from within emacs.  If I kill a line, the line gets deleted but whatever was in the kill ring before remains in it.  I've also tried, instead, using the emacs command "clipboard-kill-ring-save", but this does not have the desired effect of forcing the kill ring contents into the system clipboard.  The mac system clipboard is uneffected.

It sounds to me like the problem is basically that emacs is not
running on your local workstation, but on another machine. While what
you want may be possible, why not just run Emacs on your local machine
and open the files you need to open using tramp?

Cheers,
Jonathan

* Re: kill ring and system clipboard
@ 2010-03-30  9:13   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-03-30  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Users

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:09:16PM -0700, Mark Stoelinga wrote:

>> However, what I have never been able to do is get the emacs kill
>> ring contents to go into my mac system clipboard.

Maybe the problem is with what you call "XQuartz X11 emulator." What
Apple delivers is a bit old and a bit restricted. Here are more up-to-
date X servers:

	http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/SL

Some can be a bit experimental (2.5.0_rc?), SL stands for Snow
Leopard. They are add-ons which are connected to MacPorts and which
use partly Apple's X11 installation. Updates of this Apple software
will make a re-installation of the add-ons necessary. The 2.4 and 2.5
versions have an extended preferences pane which allows to enable
sharing snippets between Aqua pasteboard and X11 clipboard/cut&paste
buffers/selections.

You could also use a local "Apple" variant of GNU Emacs 23.1.9x (from
CVS) or 24.0.50 (from Bazaar) or their X client to connect via TRAMP
to your Linux cluster. These developer versions of GNU Emacs have the
utf-8-hfs encoding system to handle Apple's way to store non-US ASCII
characters in file names.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina. All
other jobs should be open to everybody.
				– Florynce Kennedy