all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 12:35 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-12 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for many
of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location from
the info interface?

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 13:51 ` rgb
       [not found] ` <mailman.4382.1171288732.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rgb @ 2007-02-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 12, 6:35 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for many
> of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location from
> the info interface?

It's stored in the variable Info-current-file.
So M-: Info-current-file <ret> should do it.

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 13:58 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4382.1171288732.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-02-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.02.2007 um 13:35 schrieb Hadron:

> Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for
> many
> of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location
> from
> the info interface?

Because some versions of the same file(s) are installed at different
places.

Use locate or find.

Or open each of the info files and then type C-x d to see where it's
being found.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."
                                              -Donald Knuth

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 13:58   ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2007-02-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 12, 7:51 am, "rgb" <rbiel...@i1.net> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 6:35 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for many
> > of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location from
> > the info interface?
>
> It's stored in the variable Info-current-file.
> So M-: Info-current-file <ret> should do it.

Spoke before I checked.
That just gives the unqualified name.
If there are multiple files you need to look at
Info-current-subfile

I think the multi-file stuff is used to speed
things up since some info files would otherwise
be huge and you'd need to load the whole thing
just to see some small bit of it.

* Re: multiple inf files?
       [not found] ` <mailman.4382.1171288732.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-12 14:10   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.02.2007 um 13:35 schrieb Hadron:
>
>> Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for
>> many
>> of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location
>> from
>> the info interface?
>
> Because some versions of the same file(s) are installed at different
> places.
>

> Use locate or find.
>
> Or open each of the info files and then type C-x d to see where it's
> being found.

hmm. not good. e.g I have emacs21 installed and emacs snapshot but I
dont want to see 3 versions of gnus inf at the top info node - only the
one for the emacs I am running (emacs-snapshot). As it is I see two for
/usr/share/info/emacs-snapshot and one for emacs-21. More debian
complexity I daresay. A pain since you dont see which it is without
doing C-x d

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 14:34     ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2007-02-12 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 12, 7:58 am, "rgb" <rbiel...@i1.net> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 7:51 am, "rgb" <rbiel...@i1.net> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 12, 6:35 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for many
> > > of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location from
> > > the info interface?
>
> > It's stored in the variable Info-current-file.
> > So M-: Info-current-file <ret> should do it.
>
> Spoke before I checked.
> That just gives the unqualified name.
> If there are multiple files you need to look at
> Info-current-subfile
>
> I think the multi-file stuff is used to speed
> things up since some info files would otherwise
> be huge and you'd need to load the whole thing
> just to see some small bit of it.

After reading Peter's reply I think I misunderstood
part of your question.   I had a problem with
C-h i showing certain headings multiple times.
This was more than a year ago and I even sent
a bug report about it.
I rebuild from CVS regularly and the problem
dissappeared without ever being isolated.
Since nobody else seemed to be affected I always
assumed it was something local to my machine
and caused by something wrong during the build
process.

I'll be curious if you find the answer.

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 14:42     ` rgb
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4383.1171292162.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rgb @ 2007-02-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 12, 8:10 am, Hadron <hadronqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> writes:
> > Am 12.02.2007 um 13:35 schrieb Hadron:
>
> >> Why would my "info" interface (C-h i) show multiple info files for
> >> many
> >> of the sections? How would I query the physical info file location
> >> from
> >> the info interface?
>
> > Because some versions of the same file(s) are installed at different
> > places.
>
> > Use locate or find.
>
> > Or open each of the info files and then type C-x d to see where it's
> > being found.
>
> hmm. not good. e.g I have emacs21 installed and emacs snapshot but I
> dont want to see 3 versions of gnus inf at the top info node - only the
> one for the emacs I am running (emacs-snapshot). As it is I see two for
> /usr/share/info/emacs-snapshot and one for emacs-21. More debian
> complexity I daresay. A pain since you dont see which it is without
> doing C-x d- Hide quoted text -

Try setting Info-directory-list specifically.

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 14:55     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4383.1171292162.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-02-12 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.02.2007 um 15:10 schrieb Hadron:

> hmm. not good. e.g I have emacs21 installed and emacs snapshot but I
> dont want to see 3 versions of gnus inf at the top info node - only
> the
> one for the emacs I am running (emacs-snapshot). As it is I see two
> for
> /usr/share/info/emacs-snapshot and one for emacs-21. More debian
> complexity I daresay. A pain since you dont see which it is without
> doing C-x d

Set INFOPATH in .emacs accordingly for the versions.

Edit the dir files to contain some versioning information.

Have another idea.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                     Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: multiple inf files?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4383.1171292162.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-12 15:18       ` Hadron
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4387.1171296822.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-12 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.02.2007 um 15:10 schrieb Hadron:
>
>> hmm. not good. e.g I have emacs21 installed and emacs snapshot but I
>> dont want to see 3 versions of gnus inf at the top info node - only
>> the
>> one for the emacs I am running (emacs-snapshot). As it is I see two
>> for
>> /usr/share/info/emacs-snapshot and one for emacs-21. More debian
>> complexity I daresay. A pain since you dont see which it is without
>> doing C-x d
>
> Set INFOPATH in .emacs accordingly for the versions.
>
> Edit the dir files to contain some versioning information.

Sorry, but what do you mean edit the dir files?

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-12 16:09         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4387.1171296822.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-02-12 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.02.2007 um 16:18 schrieb Hadron:

> Sorry, but what do you mean edit the dir files?

Look into the directories with the info files and then look inside
the dir files in each of these directories! It'll be obvious.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on
fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

* Re: multiple inf files?
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4387.1171296822.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-13  8:52           ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-13  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.02.2007 um 16:18 schrieb Hadron:
>
>> Sorry, but what do you mean edit the dir files?
>
> Look into the directories with the info files and then look inside the
> dir files in each of these directories! It'll be obvious.

This seems the wrong approach. I need to just limit the directories
searched to the versions I am using.

* Re: multiple inf files?
@ 2007-02-13 10:44             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-02-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hadron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.02.2007 um 09:52 schrieb Hadron:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 12.02.2007 um 16:18 schrieb Hadron:
>>
>>> Sorry, but what do you mean edit the dir files?
>>
>> Look into the directories with the info files and then look inside
>> the
>> dir files in each of these directories! It'll be obvious.
>
> This seems the wrong approach. I need to just limit the directories
> searched to the versions I am using.

Wasn't this my previous recommendation? But it's anyway good to know
what a dir file is!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Real Time, adj.:
Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.