all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What commands are there to identify a system's MTA mail transfer agent?...
@ 2008-06-03 12:32 Don Saklad
       [not found] ` <mailman.12797.1212778461.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-06-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What commands are there to identify a system's MTA
mail transfer agent?...

How do you identify a system's MTA ?...

References checked so far
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_transfer_agent

* Re: What commands are there to identify a system's MTA mail transfer agent?...
@ 2008-06-06 18:54 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12800.1212779217.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.12797.1212778461.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Saklad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.06.2008 um 14:32 schrieb Don Saklad:

> How do you identify a system's MTA ?...

By reading the documentation? Apropos mail?

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: What commands are there to identify a system's MTA mail transfer agent?...
@ 2008-06-06 19:03   ` Don Saklad
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12800.1212779217.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-06-06 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

Thank you Peter Dyballa !

How do you locate the documentation about the MTA
mail transfer agent?... what commands are there
to locate the documentation or to identify what MTA
is being used?...

* Re: What commands are there to identify a system's MTA mail transfer agent?...
@ 2008-06-06 19:14     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Saklad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.06.2008 um 21:03 schrieb Don Saklad:

> Thank you Peter Dyballa !
>
> How do you locate the documentation about the MTA
> mail transfer agent?... what commands are there
> to locate the documentation or to identify what MTA
> is being used?...

Apropos or 'man -k'. 'Man man' would give you an introduction, you
could even use M-x manual-entry in GNU Emacs. Or a woman.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
         The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated
         than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere,
         bread becomes hard while crackers become soft.

@ 2008-06-07  0:11   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-06-07  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 03.06.2008 um 14:32 schrieb Don Saklad:
>
>> How do you identify a system's MTA ?...
>

> By reading the documentation? Apropos mail?

My question would be why do you need to know? I ask this inorder to
understand what you need to know because in most cases, from an end-user
perspective, it is largely irrelevant. Most MTAs, as a minimum, support
compatibility with sendmail. They may have more advanced features, but
are usually compatible and you can usually get basic results assuming
sendmail.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2008-06-07  0:13     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-06-07  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> Thank you Peter Dyballa !
>
> How do you locate the documentation about the MTA
> mail transfer agent?... what commands are there
> to locate the documentation or to identify what MTA
> is being used?...

Are you talking about the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) or the MUA (Mail
User Agent)?.

Tim

--

@ 2008-06-07  0:18     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-06-07  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad <dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> Thank you Peter Dyballa !
>
> How do you locate the documentation about the MTA
> mail transfer agent?... what commands are there
> to locate the documentation or to identify what MTA
> is being used?...

BTW, if it really is the MTA you want to identify, you can often find
out by telneting to the smtp port and issuing a 'HELO'
command. Most/many MTAs will respond with their name and if its on the
local host, you will probably find some initial documentation with man.

If it is the user agent you are interested in, have a look at
mail-user-agent.

,----[ C-h v mail-user-agent RET ]

`----

--

@ 2008-06-07  4:12 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-06-07  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

          > Are you talking about the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) or the
          > MUA (Mail User Agent)?.

Both !

There should be some kind command or something that gets a response
with information about what the MTA and the MUA are...