all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-27 16:35 filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2011-10-27 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Denny Zhang

   hi all

   Any idea how to prohibit kill-ring being changed, when I press
"backspace" key in minibuffer?

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* RE: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-27 16:52 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-10-27 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'filebat Mark', help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: 'Denny Zhang'

> how to prohibit kill-ring being changed, when I press
> "backspace" key in minibuffer?

It is _not_ changed.  Provide a recipe, starting from emacs -Q.

If you do need to change the binding of the key for some reason, then do so in
each of the minibuffer key maps.  E.g.,

(define minibuffer-local-must-match-map (kbd "DEL")
        'backward-delete-char)
etc.

But AFAICT, the global binding of DEL (and <backspace>) is in effect in the
minibuffer, and the global binding does not kill a char, it deletes it.

* Re: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-27 18:23   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> how to prohibit kill-ring being changed, when I press "backspace" key
>> in minibuffer?
>
> It is _not_ changed.  Provide a recipe, starting from emacs -Q.
>
> If you do need to change the binding of the key for some reason, then
> do so in each of the minibuffer key maps.  E.g.,
>
> (define minibuffer-local-must-match-map (kbd "DEL")
>         'backward-delete-char)
> etc.
>
> But AFAICT, the global binding of DEL (and <backspace>) is in effect
> in the minibuffer, and the global binding does not kill a char, it
> deletes it.

I guess the OP means `backward-kill-word' (<M-backspace>) and friends.
I'm also interested in something like that.  I want to use the word,
line, and region editing commands in the minibuffer, but I don't want to
have the killed text in the global kill-ring.

What I'd really like to have is a separate kill-ring for the
minibuffers.  I've tried

(dolist (b (buffer-list))
  (when (minibufferp b)
    (set-buffer b)
    (make-local-variable 'kill-ring)))

or entering a recursive edit

  M-: M-: (make-local-variable 'kill-ring) RET C-g,

but that doesn't have an effect.  Isn't it possible to have buffer local
values for variables defined at the C level?

Another observation: why are there more than one minibuffers?  Right
now, I have 4:

(dolist (b (buffer-list))
  (when (minibufferp b)
    (insert (format "%s is a minibuffer\n" b)))) ;; C-j
 *Minibuf-1* is a minibuffer
 *Minibuf-2* is a minibuffer
 *Minibuf-3* is a minibuffer
 *Minibuf-0* is a minibuffer

some minutes ago I had 5, all with just one emacs frame.  And with emacs
-Q, I first have one and after the first window split, I have 2.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-27 18:38     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-10-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.10.2011 um 20:23 schrieb Tassilo Horn:

> Another observation: why are there more than one minibuffers?  Right
> now, I have 4:
>
> (dolist (b (buffer-list))
>  (when (minibufferp b)
>    (insert (format "%s is a minibuffer\n" b)))) ;; C-j
> *Minibuf-1* is a minibuffer
> *Minibuf-2* is a minibuffer
> *Minibuf-3* is a minibuffer
> *Minibuf-0* is a minibuffer

Are you working on a "HDBox"? (A set-top box for digital TV reception and HD recording.) It tries to record marked TV broadcasts many times – and fails because of this!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen
                                 <]

* Re: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-27 19:08       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-27 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> Another observation: why are there more than one minibuffers?  Right
>> now, I have 4:
>>
>> (dolist (b (buffer-list))
>>  (when (minibufferp b)
>>    (insert (format "%s is a minibuffer\n" b)))) ;; C-j
>> *Minibuf-1* is a minibuffer
>> *Minibuf-2* is a minibuffer
>> *Minibuf-3* is a minibuffer
>> *Minibuf-0* is a minibuffer
>
> Are you working on a "HDBox"? (A set-top box for digital TV reception
> and HD recording.) It tries to record marked TV broadcasts many times
> – and fails because of this!

Err, I don't get you.  In case it's not a joke that I don't get, no,
it's a standard GNU/Linux notebook.

Bye,
Tassilo

* RE: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-27 21:53     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-10-27 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tassilo Horn', help-gnu-emacs

> I guess the OP means `backward-kill-word' (<M-backspace>) and friends.
> I'm also interested in something like that.  I want to use the word,
> line, and region editing commands in the minibuffer, but I
> don't want to have the killed text in the global kill-ring.

I think you need deleting (non-killing) commands to remap the killing commands
to:

(defun delete-word (arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (delete-region (point) (progn (forward-word arg) (point))))

(defun backward-delete-word (arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (delete-word (- arg)))

Then, as I said, bind these in _each_ of the minibuffer keymaps.  This is for
one of the maps:

(define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-map
    [remap kill-word] 'delete-word)

(define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-map
    [remap backward-kill-word] 'backward-delete-word)

> What I'd really like to have is a separate kill-ring for the
> minibuffers.  I've tried
> (dolist (b (buffer-list))
>   (when (minibufferp b)
>     (set-buffer b)
>     (make-local-variable 'kill-ring)))
> or entering a recursive edit
>   M-: M-: (make-local-variable 'kill-ring) RET C-g,
> but that doesn't have an effect.

Try doing it on `minibuffer-setup-hook' instead.

(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook'
          (lambda ()
            (make-local-variable 'kill-ring)))

> Isn't it possible to have buffer local values for
> variables defined at the C level?

Yes, AFAIK.

* Re: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-28  6:53       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-28  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> I guess the OP means `backward-kill-word' (<M-backspace>) and
>> friends.  I'm also interested in something like that.  I want to use
>> the word, line, and region editing commands in the minibuffer, but I
>> don't want to have the killed text in the global kill-ring.
>
> I think you need deleting (non-killing) commands to remap the killing
> commands to:

Yes, that would be a possibility.

>> What I'd really like to have is a separate kill-ring for the
>> minibuffers.  I've tried
>> (dolist (b (buffer-list))
>>   (when (minibufferp b)
>>     (set-buffer b)
>>     (make-local-variable 'kill-ring)))
>> or entering a recursive edit
>>   M-: M-: (make-local-variable 'kill-ring) RET C-g,
>> but that doesn't have an effect.
>
> Try doing it on `minibuffer-setup-hook' instead.
>
> (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (make-local-variable 'kill-ring)))

It doesn't work completely.  The good thing is that the kills I make in
the minibuffer are not in the global kill-ring anymore.  But when
reentering the minibuffer again, its value is again the global
kill-ring.

That looks to me as if on entering the minibuffer
`minibuffer-setup-hook' makes kill-ring buffer-local, but when the
minibuffer is left again, the buffer local variable is killed.

And in fact, advising `kill-all-local-variables' like so

  (defadvice kill-all-local-variables (before bla activate)
    (message "killing all local vars of %s" (current-buffer)))

I get

  killing all local vars of  *Minibuf-1*
  killing all local vars of  *Minibuf-0*
  killing all local vars of  *Minibuf-1*

when leaving the minibuffer.

Using this advice, I think I finally got the intended behavior:

(defadvice kill-all-local-variables (around th-keep-minibuffer-kill-ring activate)
  (let ((b (current-buffer)))
    (when (minibufferp b)
      (let ((kr kill-ring))
	ad-do-it
	(set (make-local-variable 'kill-ring) kr)))))

Now, when reentering the minibuffer I can yank the stuff I killed in
previous minibuffer sessions, and those kills don't show up in the
global kill-ring.

But why are the buffer-local variables of minibuffers forcefully killed,
anyway?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: when deleting in minibuffer, don't change kill-ring
@ 2011-10-28  7:10         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Using this advice, I think I finally got the intended behavior:
>
> (defadvice kill-all-local-variables (around th-keep-minibuffer-kill-ring activate)
>   (let ((b (current-buffer)))
>     (when (minibufferp b)
>       (let ((kr kill-ring))
> 	ad-do-it
> 	(set (make-local-variable 'kill-ring) kr)))))
>
> Now, when reentering the minibuffer I can yank the stuff I killed in
> previous minibuffer sessions, and those kills don't show up in the
> global kill-ring.

Argh, this somehow has the weird side effect of disturbing font-lock
somehow.  For example, after starting emacs with the advice above, the
comment in *scratch* is not highlighted, and the same applies to latex
buffers.  Elisp buffers are highlighted, though...

Bye,
Tassilo