all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* -rv on a tty
@ 2010-12-04 18:35 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-04 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Bug #5421 is a regression from Emacs 22, so I think it should be fixed
before releasing v23.3.

(This got even worse on the trunk, where -fg and -bg switches seem to
produce no effect on the initial frame, only on additional frames.
The -rv switch doesn't affect even the additional frames.)

I tried to figure this out, but failed to find the culprit before I
ran out of time.  It looks that we ought to DTRT, since we call
tty-handle-reverse-video in frame-notice-user-settings (which in turn
is called from startup.el after all the command-line switches were
processed), but for some reason that call doesn't have the effect on
the display, although the frame parameters are modified as expected.

Any ideas?

* Re: -rv on a tty
@ 2010-12-04 22:53 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-12-04 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Bug #5421 is a regression from Emacs 22, so I think it should be fixed
> before releasing v23.3.

I'll take a look at it if I find the time, but I do with the -rv option
had never been invented.  It seems to serve no purpose except make
redisplay more complicated.

* Re: -rv on a tty
@ 2010-12-05  4:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-05  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:53:40 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Bug #5421 is a regression from Emacs 22, so I think it should be fixed
> > before releasing v23.3.
>
> I'll take a look at it if I find the time

Thanks.

> but I do with the -rv option had never been invented.  It seems to
> serve no purpose except make redisplay more complicated.

I agree that it complicates things, but I think we didn't invent it:
it's a standard option of every GUI application on X, isn't it?

* Re: -rv on a tty
@ 2010-12-05  9:14     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-12-05  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I agree that it complicates things, but I think we didn't invent it:
> it's a standard option of every GUI application on X, isn't it?

$ kate -rv
kate: Unbekannte Option „rv“.
kate: Benutzen Sie den Parameter „--help“, um die verfügbaren Optionen zu sehen.
$ kmines -rv
kmines: Unbekannte Option „rv“.
kmines: Benutzen Sie den Parameter „--help“, um die verfügbaren Optionen zu sehen.
$ kmag -rv
kmag: Unbekannte Option „rv“.
kmag: Benutzen Sie den Parameter „--help“, um die verfügbaren Optionen zu sehen.
$ kmail -rv
kmail: Unbekannte Option „rv“.
kmail: Benutzen Sie den Parameter „--help“, um die verfügbaren Optionen zu sehen.
$ kmix -rv
kmix: Unbekannte Option „rv“.
kmix: Benutzen Sie den Parameter „--help“, um die verfügbaren Optionen zu sehen.
$ kscd -rv
kscd: Unbekannte Option „rv“.
kscd: Benutzen Sie den Parameter „--help“, um die verfügbaren Optionen zu sehen.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: -rv on a tty
@ 2010-12-05 10:13     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-12-05 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel@gnu.org

5 dec 2010 kl. 05:07 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

>> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:53:40 -0500
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Bug #5421 is a regression from Emacs 22, so I think it should be fixed
>>> before releasing v23.3.
>>
>> I'll take a look at it if I find the time
>
> Thanks.
>
>> but I do with the -rv option had never been invented.  It seems to
>> serve no purpose except make redisplay more complicated.
>
> I agree that it complicates things, but I think we didn't invent it:
> it's a standard option of every GUI application on X, isn't it?

It was standard on Xt-based applications, but not so for Gtk+ or Qt-based applications.

Switching foreground and background was easy back then with old style fonts.  With aa-fonts and transparency things are more complicated.

        Jan D.