all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.net>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: AltGr with Emacs 23 on OSX and German keyboard
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:47:33 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 15.11.2009 um 12:42 schrieb Stefan Kamphausen:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> test -x "$emacs" ||
> emacs="$HOME/local/opt/emacs-23.1/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/
> Emacs"
> test -x "$emacs" || emacs="/usr/bin/emacs"
>
> exec "$emacs" ${SSH_CONNECTION:+-nw} ${SCREEN_IN_SSH:+-nw} "$@"

For me Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs has problems to interpret and
receive all command line arguments...

> In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.7.0, NS apple-appkit-949.46)
>  of 2009-08-02 on imac
> Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
> configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

>> is this Help menu in Emacs' frame or in the  menu bar? The X
>> clients
>> can't "delegate" the menu-bar...
>
> It's in the menu bar, just like a native OSX application.

So it's the Aqua or NS or GNUStep/OPENSTEP "Emacs.app."

> If I hit AltGr-Backspace and do the C-h l afterwards I see:
> M-(sharp s) C-h l
> (I can't insert the real sharp s in this emacs, I currently use to
> type
> this post, but it is displayed as a "normal" sharp-s in the help
> buffer).

Have you tried Character Palette (Zeichenpalette)?

> Another thing I noted: the described behavior occurs with that
> keyboard
> layout I loaded from the net as well as with the original osx
> layout.  I
> toggle those using a little icon in the menubar and applications like
> e.g. the terminal that shipped with this computer reflect the changes
> immediately: with the original layout I see a question mark upside-
> down
> if I hit AltGr-Backslash but with the custom layout I get a backslash.
> Funny, that makes no difference in Emacs.
>
> xev didn't help either.

Exactly. Xev and X11 are not Aqua.

> Is this considered a bug, shall I sent that report?

If, then to Apple. It's obviously Mac OS X which does not produce the
proper key events and has no idea of the "modifiers" of your
keyboard. But it's also Emacs.app which has problems with keys of non-
English keyboards.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
				– Buck Henry