all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
@ 2011-01-03 20:46 Maximilian Matthé
From: Maximilian Matthé @ 2011-01-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

everytime I add sth to the x-clipboard, emacs shows up this message:

,----
| Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance: "Maximilian Matthé"
`----

(That's my name, set in /etc/passwd).

How can I solve that issue? It's annoying when I'm in the mini buffer
and use a command that adds sth to the kill ring (and therefore to the
clipboard).

I already tried to set the clipboard-format
(set-selection-coding-system) to utf-8 or sth. but that did not help.

I hope you can help me!

Regards, Max

* Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
@ 2011-01-03 22:58 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-01-03 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maximilian Matthé; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.01.2011 um 21:46 schrieb Maximilian Matthé:

> I hope you can help me!

Maybe it helps to launch GNU Emacs from an UTF-8 based environment,
i.e., with LC_CTYPE or LANG set to fr_FR.UTF-8 or such. Don't set in
GNU Emacs a language environment! You can use in your init file an
additional

	(prefer-coding-system	'utf-8)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration.
				– Donald Knuth

* Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
@ 2011-01-04 11:04   ` Maximilian Matthé
From: Maximilian Matthé @ 2011-01-04 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Maybe it helps to launch GNU Emacs from an UTF-8 based environment,
> i.e., with LC_CTYPE or LANG set to fr_FR.UTF-8 or such.

I tried
env LANG=fr_FR.utf-8 emacs

but it the error remains the same. Also setting the preferred coding
system does not help. By the way: my default locale is de_DE.utf-8 .
Do you have any other suggestions?

@ 2011-01-04 12:21     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-01-04 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maximilian Matthé; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.01.2011 um 12:04 schrieb Maximilian Matthé:

> By the way: my default locale is de_DE.utf-8 .
> Do you have any other suggestions?

Could you try with an ISO Latin locale, de_DE.ISO8859-15 for example?
In this encoding the é is represented by one byte.

The error message comes from src/xselect.c.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣
ɓuı̣ɥʇʎuɐ sı̣ pooɓ ʇɐɥʍ«

* Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
@ 2011-01-04 18:12       ` Maximilian Matthé
From: Maximilian Matthé @ 2011-01-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Could you try with an ISO Latin locale, de_DE.ISO8859-15 for example?
> In this encoding the é is represented by one byte.

I now tried this:

,----
| $ env LC_ALL=de_DE.iso88591 emacs
`----

But my problem remains. I always get the message, I need to encode it in

@ 2011-01-04 23:27         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-01-04 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maximilian Matthé; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.01.2011 um 19:12 schrieb Maximilian Matthé:

> I always get the message, I need to encode it in advance

Maybe you need to correct the problem in /etc/passwd. In which
encoding is é encoded? In UTF-8? Or in some ISO Latin/ISO-8859
encoding? In UTF-8 é is two bytes: C3 A9, in the 8-bit ISO encodings
it's one byte, E9. Could you need to use this encoding in /etc/passwd...

What is your system's documentation telling about allowed characters
and encodings used for /etc/passwd? BTW, how did you insert your name?
Could be there is a bug in your system...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Eine Fehlentscheidung auf Anhieb spart immerhin Zeit.
				(Helmar Nahr)

* Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
@ 2011-01-05 19:45           ` Maximilian Matthe
From: Maximilian Matthe @ 2011-01-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Maybe you need to correct the problem in /etc/passwd. In which
> encoding is é encoded? In UTF-8? Or in some ISO Latin/ISO-8859
> encoding? In UTF-8 é is two bytes: C3 A9, in the 8-bit ISO encodings
> it's one byte, E9. Could you need to use this encoding in
> /etc/passwd...

I'm sorry. It was not my /etc/passwd that caused the error, it is

,----
| (setq user-full-name "Maximilian Matthé")
`----

in ~/.gnus.el . Nethertheless it's annoying. If I change the é to e it
works fine. And if I save .gnus.el in Iso-8859-15 the error still comes
up (I checked in hexl-mode that the é is encoded as one byte, e9).

So I think this is more a bug from gnus and not emacs. I will post my
issue at the gnus-list.

Very much thanks for your advice!

Regards, Max