all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10  3:48 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-01-10  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have two windows in a frame. Is there a command to swap their
location?

I have a wide configuration and windows are left and right. Left is
where I work mostly and is in front of eyes. Right is for reference and
for occasional use. Sometimes, due to some commands, the work window
goes to right. And I want swap its location with the other buffer
window. How can I do that?

Regards
Pankaj

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10  4:29 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-01-10  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Not sure if it helps, but take a look at my config, as you're going to probably have to make some custom Elisp function to do some good swapping.

Download my config and open it up in Org Mode, and find the section on window management, as I have a few swapping functions you might want to steal:

https://git.musimatic.xyz/dotfiles/tree/emacs/.emacs.d

More specifically, here's my config:
https://git.musimatic.xyz/dotfiles/tree/emacs/.emacs.d/configuration.org

Sincerely,

Sam
On Sun, Jan 9, 2022, at 10:48 PM, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> I have two windows in a frame. Is there a command to swap their
> location?
>
> I have a wide configuration and windows are left and right. Left is
> where I work mostly and is in front of eyes. Right is for reference and
> for occasional use. Sometimes, due to some commands, the work window
> goes to right. And I want swap its location with the other buffer
> window. How can I do that?
>
> Regards
> Pankaj

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10  5:05 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2022-01-10  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 10:56, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:

> I have two windows in a frame. Is there a command to swap their
> location?

I use buffer-up-swap (and buffer-{down,right,left}-swap) from the
windcycle[1] package.

[1]: https://github.com/troydm/emacs-stuff/blob/master/windcycle.el

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10  5:10   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-01-10  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> Download my config and open it up in Org Mode, and find the section on
> window management, as I have a few swapping functions you might want
> to steal:
>
> https://git.musimatic.xyz/dotfiles/tree/emacs/.emacs.d
>
> More specifically, here's my config:
> https://git.musimatic.xyz/dotfiles/tree/emacs/.emacs.d/configuration.org

Thanks a lot for sharing this. This is definitely going to help.

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10  6:27   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-01-10  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 10:56, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have two windows in a frame. Is there a command to swap their
>> location?
>
> I use buffer-up-swap (and buffer-{down,right,left}-swap) from the
> windcycle[1] package.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/troydm/emacs-stuff/blob/master/windcycle.el

Nice readymade package. Thanks for sharing.

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10 13:51     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-01-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid wrote:

>>> I have two windows in a frame. Is there a command to swap
>>> their location?
>>
>> I use buffer-up-swap (and buffer-{down,right,left}-swap) from the
>> windcycle[1] package.
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/troydm/emacs-stuff/blob/master/windcycle.el
>
> Nice readymade package. Thanks for sharing.

(defun swap-windows ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buffer (current-buffer)))
    (other-window 1)
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window (current-buffer))
    (other-window 1)
    (switch-to-buffer buffer) ))

I think that works by itself but if not the whole source is ...

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/window-incal.el
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/window-incal.el

;; same window for new things
(setq display-buffer-alist '((".*" display-buffer-same-window)))

(defun beginning-of-line-at-top ()
  "Position point at `beginning-of-line'.
Then put that line at the top of the window."
  (beginning-of-line)
  (recenter 0) )

(defun doodle-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((doodle-buffer "~/ooa/doodle.el"))
    (if (one-window-p)
        (progn
          (split-window-below)
          (other-window 1)
          (find-file doodle-buffer) )
      (find-file doodle-buffer) )))

;; the two-window solution

(defun other-window-or-split ()
  (interactive)
  (when (one-window-p)
    (split-window-below) )
  (other-window 1) )

(defun swap-windows ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buffer (current-buffer)))
    (other-window 1)
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window (current-buffer))
    (other-window 1)
    (switch-to-buffer buffer) ))

;; window size shorthands

(defun window-increase-size (lines)
  (interactive "p")
  (window-resize nil lines) ) ; the current WINDOW

(defun window-decrease-size (lines)
  (interactive "p")
  (window-resize nil (* -1 lines) ))

(provide 'window-incal)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-10 16:39       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-01-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> (defun swap-windows ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((buffer (current-buffer)))
>     (other-window 1)
>     (switch-to-buffer-other-window (current-buffer))
>     (other-window 1)
>     (switch-to-buffer buffer) ))

Yes. Thanks for sharing this. Pasting it to my init :-)

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-11 23:53         ` Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-01-11 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Pankaj Jangid

Hi

I see here many complicated answers and recommendation for external packages and nobody mentions winmove.

winmove.el (that comes with emacs) already have the all the swap functions
 ​windmove-swap-states-<left,right,up,down>. You only need to bind them or use the binding functions it also provide.

@ 2022-01-12  4:54           ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-01-12  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> winmove.el (that comes with emacs) already have the all the swap
> functions
>  ​windmove-swap-states-<left,right,up,down>. You only need to bind them
>  or use the binding functions it also provide.

Thanks for sharing this built-in. I was surprised when I couldn’t find
this basic thing in Emacs. It kind of shattered my belief. ;)

Cleaning up my config again.

* Re: Swap windows in a frame
@ 2022-01-12 21:05           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-01-12 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ergus via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> I see here many complicated answers and recommendation for
> external packages and nobody mentions winmove.
>
> winmove.el (that comes with emacs) already have the all the
> swap functions ​windmove-swap-states-<left,right,up,down>.
> You only need to bind them or use the binding functions it
> also provide.

Elisp please ...