all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remapping navigation Keys in EMACS
@ 2017-04-11 17:53 Rishabh Jain
From: Rishabh Jain @ 2017-04-11 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi:

I'm just starting up with EMACS, and am curious if anyone has mapped
their navigation keys (C-f,b,p,n, etc) to WASD format (like games do for
navigation). If you have, please share your experience as well.

W - up, A - left, S - down, D - right

Here's how I want to remap:

  * C - (a,d) -> character wise left and right
  * C - (w,s) -> line wise up and down
  * M - (a,d) -> word wise left and right
  * M - (w,s) -> paragraph wise up and down
  * C - M - (a,d) -> (sentence wise left, right)
  * C - M - (w,s) -> (move current line up/down)

My biggest concern is that if this remapping would really impede my
EMACS experience in time - for eg. using packages, etc. At this time,
I'm about 1 week old user, and primarily code in Python, and Matlab, and
work regularly in Latex. For the last reason, I'm really looking forward
to using org-mode.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Regards,

RJ